National

Professors discuss social, economic politics of Apple’s racially diverse emojis

Racially diverse emojis featuring the option of five different skin tones will soon be coming to Apple devices, and some Syracuse University professors see it as a business move.

Beta testers were recently able to see and use the new emojis, which will be available in the next iOS and OX update. These skin tones will be available for the human-like emojis, while the smiley faces will remain yellow.

Users will see the characters, most of which are currently Caucasian, as a default yellow color. A total of five other skin options will be offered in addition to the default, according to a Feb. 24 Business Insider article.

Cecilia Green and Arthur Paris, professors of sociology in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, said that Apple most likely implemented these new emojis as a reaction to a widening market of minority consumers, rather than to promote social inclusivity.

“It’s too bad that the numbers had to be the deciding factor,” Green said.

Green added that while she wishes the update was a “proactive” step toward embracing diversity, it’s “better than nothing.”

Paris said these new emojis are a move by Apple to “differentiate its product” and “push an Apple solution.” However, he also shared his hope that there will be more changes like this because increasing diversity almost always has a positive effect.

According to a report released by Unicode, the developer of Apple’s emojis, the racially diverse emojis are based on the Fitzpatrick scale, a recognized dermatological standard.

While they are based in science, Paris said that they have the potential to be offensive, depending on the context. He explained that consumers could use them in a “negative fashion” and end up reinforcing negative stereotypes.

Both Green and Paris said there were other ways mega corporations like Apple could increase inclusivity.

Corporations could invite “non-white publics” to contribute to methods of increasing awareness about diversity, Green said.

Paris said that hiring minorities, not to fill quotas but to “hire different talent,” could help immensely.

He added that training students and teachers how to better use the kind of technology Apple provides should be a priority. Paris cited the program that Microsoft’s Skype has in which it allows classrooms around the world to connect with each other as a strong example of raising awareness through immersive education.

The change is also welcomed by many users of iPhones. Nicole Borington, a junior public relations major, said that she uses emojis frequently and is happy to see Apple instituting this change. Since iPhones are such personal devices, it is nice to have them more reflective of the consumer, she added.

“More than one person uses an iPhone,” Borington said.