Letters to the Editor

NYPIRG Small Claims Court Action Centers offers students professional experience

To the Editor:

With rising tuition, skyrocketing student loan debt and massive textbook bills, students can barely afford the costs of financial scams and shady transactions. New York Public Interest Research Group is here to help.

We all know someone who has experienced trouble collecting security deposits, returned broken items or dealt with shady businesses. Since no New York state agency offers free small claims court assistance, students working with NYPIRG’s Consumer Action Project decided to start one. NYPIRG’s Small Claims Court Action Centers offer students the opportunity to empower themselves, build their resume and get hands-on professional experience.

Trained student counselors have staffed NYPIRG’s Small Claims Court Action Centers for nearly four decades. Overseen by attorneys, student counselors gain the knowledge and skills to navigate small claims court themselves and learn how to help others with non-legal, procedural advice needed to obtain justice.

Victims of these injustices can recover up to $5,000 ($3,000 in some towns and villages) – and our action centers are ready to help. Whether you want to bolster your resume with professional experience helping New Yorkers get justice or you’ve been victimized yourself, contact your nearest action center at 315-476-8381.

NYPIRG will host a training session for student counselors on Thursday, March 5 at 7:45 p.m. in the NYPIRG office (732 S. Crouse Ave, Second Floor). All students who are interested in being trained by legal staff to assist New Yorkers in the small claims process are welcome to attend.

Alexis Rinck
Class of 2017
Political Science and Sociology
Project Leader at NYPIRG