Tennis

No. 67 Syracuse upended by No. 14 Miami, 7-0, in home match

Syracuse failed to capitalize on its first chance during a crucial weekend in conference.

The No. 67 Orange (6-5, 1-4 Atlantic Coast) ran into the buzz saw of No. 14 Miami (7-2, 3-1) as the Orange dropped the match 7-0. Syracuse is the third-straight team — along with then-No. 14 Clemson and No. 53 Wake Forrest — Miami has shutout.

The lone victory for the Orange was one of the three doubles points. Senior Amanda Rodgers and freshman Nicole Mitchell won their match, 8-4, over Miami’s best tandem of Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno. Riobueno is the reigning ACC player of the week and she and Albuquerque are ranked as the 17th-best doubles pairing in the country.

Miami’s Stephanie Wagner and Lina Lileikite narrowly bumped off SU’s Valeria Salazar and senior Komal Safdar, 8-7 (7-5).

In the rubber match, senior Breanna Bachini and sophomore Rhiann Newborn were edged out by Sinead Lohan and Wendy Zhang 8-6, giving Miami the doubles point and all of the momentum heading into the match.

Syracuse suffered equally devastating defeats in the singles section

Salazar, who soldiered through her match last weekend after refusing a trainer’s advice to sit out, retired this week as she fell 6-2, 2-1.

Rodgers lost to Wagner 6-1, 7-6 (7-2) and Bachini was beaten by Riobueno 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5).

After winning her first five singles’ matches of the season, Newborn’s struggles persisted Friday as she dropped a two-setter to Lileikite 6-4, 6-2. Newborn is 1-4 in conference play.

Safdar, who turned in a dominating performance one week ago, fell in rapid succession to Yolimar Ogando 6-1, 6-1.

Mitchell, who has struggled in singles play this season, dropped her match to Albuquerque 6-1, 6-0.

Syracuse battles No. 21 Duke on Sunday at noon.

Compiled by Sam Fortier, staff writer, [email protected].