Mayor to hold public meetings for input on second phase of Onondaga Creekwalk

Frankie Prijatel | Photo Editor

Design ideas for the second phase of the Onondaga Creekwalk, a scenic bike route and walkway that runs through the city of Syracuse, are being discussed in public meetings.

Public meetings are being held in Syracuse to brainstorm design ideas for the second phase of the Onondaga Creekwalk, a scenic bike route and walkway that runs through the city.

Led by Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner, the meetings are designed to receive public input as the city begins the design for the second phase of the Creekwalk project, which started in 2007. Two meetings have already occurred and the third meeting will take place March 4 at 6 p.m. at the Museum of Science and Technology.

The first phase was a popular addition to Syracuse’s downtown area, and Miner said in a Feb. 24 press release that she hopes to expand the trail to connect the rest of the downtown area together.

“The first phase of the Onondaga Creekwalk has been a great success and we welcome the opportunity to plan for this expansion,” Miner said in the release.

The first phase — which cost the city about $11 million — runs 2.6 miles through downtown Syracuse ending in Armory Square. The second phase will accomplish multiple goals for the city. It will add 2.2 additional miles to the existing pathway, connecting existing trails and parks, said Alexander Marion, press secretary for Miner.

The purpose of the Creekwalk is to enhance the beauty of the downtown area, in addition to promoting alternative transportation, such as biking and walking, Marion added.

The Syracuse Downtown Committee maintains the Creekwalk by clearing snow, leaves and other weather elements from the path, and by keeping the general area aesthetically pleasing for patrons of the area, said Chuck McFadden, a member of the committee.

“Recreation is the first thing the Creekwalk provides,” said Russell Houck, who works in the city’s department of engineering. “It also links together with the park system of the South Side, such as Kirk Park.”

The pathway will begin at the end of the trail in Armory Square created in the first phase and will extend south to Coven Street. There are currently two different designs for the second plan: one would remain close to the actual creek, while the other would move in conjunction with the landscape and utilize some city streets, Houck said.

“It really spurs development in some areas,” Houck said. “The first phase of (the Creekwalk) really influenced the inner harbor. I am hoping for the same with the second phase.”

Similar to the first phase, the city is putting its citizens in charge of the design of the path, holding these town meetings for their input. This round of public meetings is the first of three this year. The next set of meetings will be in the summer. The design is projected to be finished in 2016 and construction will occur in 2017–18.

“This project is essential for Syracuse,” Houck said. “It is great for the community.”