Athletic Department Shake-Up

Head coaches Scott Shafer, John Desko discuss Daryl Gross stepping down as director of athletics, provide glimpse into future

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Scott Shafer, six days after the announcement came that Daryl Gross was no longer Syracuse's director of athletics, spoke about the change with reporters.

Six days after former Director of Athletics Daryl Gross stepped down from his position, football head coach Scott Shafer and men’s lacrosse head coach John Desko spoke about the move and briefly looked into the future involving a new athletic director.

Shafer, who’s entering his third season as Syracuse head coach, didn’t discuss Gross directly, but said he trusts Chancellor Kent Syverud’s plans moving forward.

He added that Syverud’s recent track record makes him comfortable, specifically citing how Syverud made the implementation of the indoor practice facility happen.

“I think, for me, we always preach to the kids, and now we have to practice it as coaches, is controlling the controllables,” Shafer said. “Then when you have change, a change agent, you always have to look at the top.”

Desko, who has been at SU for all 10 years Gross was director of athletics, said Gross has been great for Syracuse lacrosse.

The men’s lacrosse team was the only SU sports team to win national championships — which it did twice in 2008 and 2009 — in Gross’ tenure as director of athletics.

“I’ve gotten along with him very well so, you know, happy to have that time with him,” Desko said, “… and happy that he’s going to be staying with the university in a different position.”

When asked what he’s looking for in the next athletic director, Desko laughed and simply said one who supports the lacrosse program.

But both head coaches didn’t look too far into the future regarding a new athletic director, both citing their team’s next obligation as their main area of focus.

“I haven’t really thought about it, we’re thinking about Notre Dame right now,” Desko said.

“I know he’ll find a great AD,” Shafer said of Syverud. “I look forward to it but to be honest with you, I’m really just worried about getting that practice 11. “