Current, past members reflect on 30-year legacy of University 100

Isabella Barrioneuvo | Assistant Photo Editor

(From left) Julia Ashe and Jonathan Gordon give a tour to prospective students and their families. As members of U100, Ashe and Gordon give campus tours, speak on prospective student panels and assist in the Office of Admissions.

Before Peter Hagan was associate director of admissions for Syracuse University, he was once a University 100 member, giving campus tours while wearing the group’s signature orange and blue striped rugby.

“I always liked the idea of helping people find the right fit for college since it can be such a daunting process,” he said.

Hagan started working with the Office of Admissions for SU in the year 2000 as a freshman political science major. He talked to hundreds of prospective students and their families and gave countless tours of the university.

“I remember I was telling a group of families about Carnegie Library when I didn’t know there was one of those giant planters that hold flowers behind me and as I walked backward I went into the planter head over heels,” he said. “Those poor families didn’t know what to do and I tried so hard not to laugh.”

Started by the Office of Admissions in 1985, U100 consists of a diverse group of students who act as student ambassadors. They give campus tours, greet students and their families at open houses and host events for prospective students. Now in its 30th year, the U100 program has changed to reflect forward thinking yet still maintains its original purpose.

“The goals of the organization have not changed,” Hagan said. “But I hope we’re always improving to represent the university’s traditions and progress.”

Most clearly, this progress can be seen in the diversity of the students chosen to be a part of U100. According to the U100 website, members come from “various geographic and ethnic backgrounds.”

Keaton Hain, a junior English and textual studies major and current U100 member, said diversity is what makes U100 members true representatives of the student body and campus experiences.

“I’d say diversity is of the utmost importance when it comes to U100 members,” Hain said. “We have students at SU from all 50 states and over 120 countries, it’s a great group of well rounded, diverse people.”

Hain said he appreciates the personal connections he’s made with the prospective students.

“You have to talk to the students between stops, find out why they are visiting, what they want to do,” he added. “You want to get a personal connection with them and make them feel like more than a number and I think that connection really helps a tour at Syracuse stick out from the rest.”

Joyce LaLonde, a sophomore dual public relations and policy studies major and a current member of U100, gave her first tour by herself in the fall of 2014.

She only remembers it now because it was the most fun she’s ever had while giving a tour.

“When I told them the programs I was studying, they cheered and made me feel I was doing something right,” LaLonde said. “Every single thing that came out of my mouth, they loved. That sort of appreciation and excitement is the best part of giving these tours.”

LaLonde’s grandparents and parents met at SU and as a result she’s always been involved in campus life. When it was time to apply for college, LaLonde toured the campus, which marked her first interaction with U100. She was eventually accepted into SU and applied to become a U100 member at the end of her freshman year.

As a part of U100, LaLonde learned that not everyone wants or even expects the same college experience as she did when she was applying, which caused her to learn not only about other people, but about herself as well.

“It really allows you to step outside your bubble,” LaLonde said of being a U100. “This campus means so much to each of us for so many different reasons, and that can sometimes be a challenging message to get across to these students.”