Guard Ron Patterson will transfer from Syracuse

Chase Gaewski | Staff Photographer

Ron Patterson will transfer from Syracuse.

Sophomore guard Ron Patterson will transfer from Syracuse, his father Marc Patterson told The Daily Orange on Thursday afternoon.

His father said he thinks his son may transfer closer to home and that NCAA sanctions and B.J. Johnson’s transfer may have contributed to Patterson’s decision. Patterson called his father at about 5:30 p.m. on Thursday informing him of his decision. He’ll look to go to a school where he can play significant minutes immediately, the older Patterson said.

“I just think he’s looking forward to a  different situation,” Marc Patterson said. “He’s a player that had a lot of interest from the beginning so I don’t think it’ll be hard for him to find another school.”

The sophomore guard had been talking to his coaches and met with Boeheim earlier this week, his father said. Patterson can’t talk to any prospective coaches until after his transfer paperwork is completed, his father said.

Patterson came off the bench in all of the 29 games that he played this season. He averaged 2.6 points and 13.9 minutes per game and shot just 9-of-52 from behind the arc this season. After Syracuse’s win over Virginia Tech on Feb. 3, SU head coach Jim Boeheim said he instructed Patterson not to shoot anymore 3-pointers.

The news of his transfer broke just minutes after it became public that sophomore forward Johnson will seek a transfer as well. Scout.com first reported the story. The older Patterson said Johnson and his son were best friends but that he didn’t mention the forward by name on the phone.

Patterson’s father lives in Indianapolis as does his son, who lives with the guard’s mother.

Said Patterson’s father: “His son, he couldn’t watch him play, you know what I mean.”