Groups across campus take part in It’s on Us campaign to spread awareness of sexual assault

Groups across the Syracuse University campus are finding ways to help prevent sexual assault and relationship violence.

The Office of Health Promotion is currently working on a video as part of SU’s It’s On Us campaign. Filmed a few weeks ago, the office hopes to have the video done by the end of the semester, said Katelyn Cowen, the director of the Office of Health Promotions.

The It’s On Us campaign started in September through the White House and President Barack Obama. The campaign hopes to encourage everyone to help stop sexual assault and to intervene if someone is unable to give consent.

Next semester, Cowen said they hope to use the video during opening weekend as a mandatory event for new students.

Cowen described what the university is doing for the It’s On Us campaign as a “soft launch,” and that they hope to do more with the video and the campaign next semester.

The Office of Health Promotions is working on helping students on campus understand the nuances of sexual assault, Cowen said. That includes “what SU’s policy of consent it, (and) how we as a community can help end sexual violence,” Cowen said.

According to SU’s policy of consent, students cannot give consent if they have been drinking or are otherwise under the influence. Over the past year, more students have been accessing services for victims of sexual assault and coming forward to report incidents, Cowen said.

Clare Keaney, the president of Students Advocating Sexual Safety and Empowerment, said members of SASSE wore their T-shirts while filming the campaign’s video, although she was not in the video herself.

Keaney said SASSE works to create a safer space for all individuals on campus, which is also something she said the It’s On Us campaign hopes to do.

“Sexual assault isn’t something that just happens to privileged groups,” Keaney said, adding that people need to include LGBT and people of color in their conversations of sexual assault and relationship violence.

Members of the Greek community on campus are also participating in the campaign.

“The entire (Interfraternity Council) community supports the It’s On Us campaign,” said James Ogden, the president of IFC in an email.

Ogden also said every single IFC chapter president took the It’s On Us pledge at their presidents’ meeting three weeks ago. Right now, they plan on “hosting a day in the Quad later in the spring, where all different members of the Syracuse community can come out and take the pledge.”