Olympian Sanya Richards-Ross speaks at SU, says gender shouldn’t be obstacle

Sanya Richards-Ross said she never viewed her race or gender as an obstacle that she couldn’t overcome.

“I’ve never felt all that marginalized or discriminated against. If we want what is good in life, it’s going to be hard,” said Richards-Ross, a four-time Olympic gold medalist sprinter. “People always think I’m going to give them some sort of secret formula — there isn’t one. It’s hard work.”

Richards-Ross spoke at Grant Auditorium Tuesday at 7 p.m. At the talk, she discussed race, gender and culture, stressing that being a woman of color shouldn’t be considered an obstacle. The talk, entitled “The Woman Behind the Gold,” was hosted by four Syracuse University student organizations: the Caribbean Students Association, She’s The First, Sports Professionals of Color and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated.

During the talk, one student from each group stayed onstage with Richards-Ross to moderate the talk and take turns asking her questions. They asked her questions about the role gender and ethnicity played in Richards-Ross’ successes and failures.

A Jamaican native, Richards-Ross moved to the U.S. at 12 years old to pursue a career in track and field. She won a silver medal in the 400-meter event and a bronze medal in the 200-meter event at the 2002 World Junior Championships.

The event began with a tribute to Sabrina Cammock, an SU student who ran for the track and field team, who died in early March. Two of her fellow teammates read eulogies through teary eyes for Cammock before welcoming Richards-Ross to the stage.

“Predominantly we’re represented as athletes if you’re a minority, rather than business personnel,” said Alexis Howard-Orr, junior sport management major and the president of the Sport Professionals of Color. She said because of this, the groups wanted to bring in someone who was able to balance several different entrepreneurships beyond just track and field.

Nyesher Serrant, a sophomore communication and science disorder major and representative of The Caribbean Students Association, asked Richards-Ross if she ever felt “too American for Jamaica or too Jamaican for Americans.”

“I don’t know what that means,” Richards-Ross responded with a laugh. “I’m a citizen of the world.”

A self-proclaimed “mini-mogul,” Richards-Ross has launched national sports clinics, including Team SRR Sports Clinic, one of the most comprehensive sports training clinics in the country. She also launched her own hair salon in Austin, Texas with her sister, as well as a reality show on WE TV in 2013.

Richards-Ross credits much of her success to her parents as well as her Caribbean background. Growing up in a country where track and field is widely revered, Richards-Ross had access to some of the best coaches in the country. Coming to America, she noticed track wasn’t as popular. “Where are all the people?” she remembered wondering at her high school track meets.

The smaller fan base wasn’t the only thing Richards-Ross recalled adjusting to once she moved to the states.

“In Jamaica, all you see are black women, but when you’re in a diverse community like the U.S., you’re constantly being reminded of your race and gender,” she said.

Despite these constant reminders, Richards-Ross said she never takes no for an answer.

Said Richards-Ross: “I don’t take no for an answer, and I’m going to knock on a door until you open it.”