Syracuse Athletics

Dick Vitale, ESPN college basketball analyst, discusses Jim Boeheim’s role in NCAA violations, head coach’s planned retirement

ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale admitted that Jim Boeheim was at fault for NCAA violations committed by Syracuse, but also voiced his strong support for the SU head coach.

“I want to make it very clear, very clear, coaches have to be accountable and responsible for what transpires in your program,” Vitale said to The Daily Orange. “But saying all that, Jim Boeheim is not a cheater.”

Vitale emphasized how Boeheim had no part in establishing a “cheating scandal” or anything that involved athletes being paid for volunteer services at the Oneida YMCA. Vitale added that Boeheim didn’t even know it was happening.

But he did put Boeheim at fault in one area.

“Jim Boeheim was guilty of one thing. I’ll say it once, I’ll say it twice, I’ll say it over and over on ESPN,” Vitale said. “And a lot of people don’t agree with what I’m saying. It’s their prerogative and I respect that. But what I’m saying is a fact.

“Jim Boeheim is guilty of trust.”

Vitale went on to mention how Boeheim was at fault for trusting two “boosters,” presumably referencing former Oneida YMCA sports director Jeff Cornish and CEO Hank Leo, for paying his players in cash.

Vitale said Boeheim would be “guilty beyond belief” if it was proven that he orchestrated paying players or aiding in writing paper or other academic fraud, but that wasn’t the case.

“Jim Boeheim would’ve never, ever tolerated that,” Vitale said. “I will certainly say this, those that are writing it and critics and radio screaming he’s a cheater, he should be gone: He’s not a cheater.

“He is not. He is not, in any shape or form … any way, any way.”

After it was announced in an email sent by Chancellor Kent Syverud that Boeheim intends to retire in three years, Vitale said he was surprised that the plan was released three years in advance.

He said the first name he associated with Syracuse is Boeheim’s, and he floated the possibility of the early announcement being a result of the pressure being put on Boeheim as a result of the NCAA investigation.

“I’m really surprised to be honest with you,” Vitale said. “I think it’s so unfair what’s transpired now, the whole scenario with the Syracuse investigation.”