board of trustees

Chairman of SU’s Board of Trustees supports university considering its options to appeal NCAA penalties

The chairman of Syracuse University’s Board of Trustees said in a statement Friday that he believes some penalties handed down by the NCAA are excessive.

Chairman Richard Thompson said the university has taken responsibility for past violations, and has self-imposed a set of serious penalties. In addition, the school has taken action to reform and strengthen oversight policies to ensure full compliance, including creating an Athletics Committee of the Board of Trustees to oversee the Athletics Department, he said.

However, Thompson said the university believes, “a number of the penalties instituted by the NCAA are excessive, and I support the University’s decision to consider its options for appeal.” Thompson did not respond to an email Friday afternoon.

The NCAA released a 94-page report Friday, which details the findings of its investigation into SU. The violations included instances of academic fraud, failure to comply with the school’s written drug policy and a lack of institutional control, according to the report.

In his statement, Thompson commended Chancellor Kent Syverud and University General Counsel Dan French for bringing the investigation, which began in 2007, to a conclusion.