From the Calendar

Massachusetts duo Bujak to perform with music, LED hula hoop at Funk ‘n Waffles

Courtesy of Jeff Bujak

(from left) Jen Dulong and Jeff Bujak will perform at downtown Funk N’ Waffles on Saturday. Their musical genre is “electro piano dance” where Bujak plays live music and Dulong hoola-hoops to the beat. The duo uses different types of equipment for their performances including keyboards, loopers, samplers and drum machines.

For two Massachusetts-based performers, hula hooping is more than just child’s play — it provides visual movement and depth.

The duo Bujak will perform at the Funk ‘n Waffles in downtown Syracuse on Saturday at 9 p.m. The duo consists of musician Jeff Bujak on the keyboard and Jen Dulong with an LED hula-hoop, performing to his music. Admission is $10 at the door and the event is 21 and over only.

As a producer, Bujak describes his music as a mixture of classical and rock, with a twist of dance to bring out the electro aspect of his work. He and Dulong take pride in the dramatic visual presentation of their live performances, saying it brings more artistic dimension to their shows.

Dulong, who is in charge of the special effects and lighting for their live shows, performs alongside Bujak with her LED hula-hoop, adding an electronic element to their numbers and fusing music with technology.

“I control most of the visual aspect of the show,” Dulong said. “After four years of touring, I’ve come to know (Jeff’s) musical style very well, and I believe that is reflected as a personal light show within our performance.”

Dulong and Bujak began performing together in 2011. Bujak said performing with Dulong added a human element to his sound and provided a more comfortable way of connecting to the music, and that the two of them are always working to provide more, “whatever more may be.”

“What (Dulong) ended up bringing was a show in itself in to my existing show,” Bujak said. “I’ve never wanted to include anyone else musically to this show, so adding someone as a visual enhancement was more successful than I could have imagined it being.”

Sam Levy, general manager at Funk ‘n Waffles, categorized the dynamic duo’s musical genre as “electro piano dance.”

“There’s not many people who can make that much music on their own. They put on a full performance — visually and audibly,” Levy said. “Every time I see them it’s very different. I’m expecting a completely new experience. I don’t know what to expect.”

The duo uses plenty of different types of equipment for the performances. Bujak said he uses his keyboards, loopers, samplers, drum machines and computers with effects not only to create music, but also make his listeners think.

Bujak added that he improvises a lot when he plays, but also maintains basic song structure. His musical influences include acts like Lotus, Perpetual Groove and Umphrey’s McGee, all of whom had their own style of music to accompany their music.

“I always made sure that my lighting presentation was just as original and elaborate as my music,” Bujak said.

Dulong bought her LED hula-hoop when she and Bujak began performing together. She said her hoop is different compared to a basic LED hoop — hers has 165 different modes and patterns. She also has the ability to design and shuffle around different light settings she likes.

Dulong said she wanted to pursue a career as a light designer, so performing with Bujak was her way of working with lights — she just uses a hula-hoop instead of a light board.

“We’re both really excited for this upcoming show,” Dulong said. “We haven’t been to Syracuse in a while — Jeff has more lights and I have some new moves. I plan on hooping my brain out, that I know for sure.”