B.J. Johnson to transfer to La Salle, sit out next season

Margaret Lin | Web Developer

B.J. Johnson has committed to La Salle four days after his transfer from Syracuse was announced. CBS Sports first reported the news and it was later confirmed by Johnson's father, Robert Johnson.

Former Syracuse forward B.J. Johnson is transferring to play at La Salle University, his father, Robert Johnson, confirmed in a text message to The Daily Orange on Monday afternoon.

CBS Sports first reported the news of Johnson’s transfer to play for the Explorers.

Robert Johnson also confirmed that his son will sit out next season and then be a redshirt junior for the 2016-17 season with two years of eligibility remaining. Johnson’s intent to transfer from the Orange was announced four days ago on the same day that Ron Patterson’s transfer from SU was confirmed.

Johnson went to Lower Merion (Pennsylvania) High School and the move to La Salle, which is in Philadelphia, will bring him closer to home. Robert Johnson said in a text that the move “Should be great for (B.J.) and his family.”

When Robert confirmed Johnson’s transfer on Friday, he added that his son is looking to get up to 210 to 220 pounds — a goal that could feasibly be achieved while he sits out a year per NCAA rules.

Johnson played just 55 total minutes as a freshman and averaged 4.2 points and 3.2 rebounds in 14.6 minutes per game as a sophomore this past season. He saw a rise in playing time toward the end of the season after freshman forward Chris McCullough tore his ACL in SU’s win over Florida State on Jan. 11, and was one of seven players in SU head coach Jim Boeheim’s tight rotation.

Near the end of the season, Johnson tied his career-high with 19 points in the Orange’s win over then-No. 9 Notre Dame on Feb. 24. He also scored 19 points in Syracuse’s season-opening win over Kennesaw State.

La Salle ended its season 17-16 in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic-10 tournament. When coming out of Lower Merion, Johnson considered offers from Rutgers, Temple and Villanova before picking Syracuse.

Now he’ll wait a year before suiting up for La Salle, the same program his father scored 890 points for from 1986 to 1990.

Said Robert Johnson: “He’ll probably outscore me in two years.”