Alexis Peterson looks to succeed on 1st chance on national stage as Syracuse opens up NCAA tournament Friday

Syracuse players sat in silence after ESPN commentator Kevin Negandhi announced SU’s opening-round NCAA tournament matchup, then clapped for a few seconds before listening to commentator Rebecca Lobo’s scouting report.

After mentioning head coach Quentin Hillsman’s attire and how SU nearly upset then-No. 1 South Carolina on Nov. 28, Lobo had one final message: “They have a guard, Alexis Peterson, one of the most improved players in the country from her freshman to sophomore year.”

For Peterson — who leads SU in points, assists and steals — March Madness may be just the right platform to gain national attention. After all, it’s been her consistent production that’s got SU to the NCAA tournament, which kicks off for the eighth-seed Orange (21-9, 11-5 Atlantic Coast) on Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Columbia, South Carolina with a game against ninth seed-Nebraska (21-10, 10-8 Big Ten).

“I think it’s an opportunity, so I want to take advantage of it,” Peterson said. “If that means making a name for myself, I would love to do that.”

With ESPN not scheduling Syracuse during the regular season, Peterson hasn’t had a national broadcast to showcase a skill set that has not only made her SU’s most consistent player, but also its go-to player in crunch time.

When Syracuse shot 0-for-17 from 3-point range and trailed Virginia Tech by five at halftime on Feb. 15, Peterson — and Brianna Butler — scored 15 second-half points to spark a 59-51 comeback victory.

After the game, Hillsman said Peterson had officially taken the all-around role of 2015 Naismith Trophy Watch List member Britney Sykes, SU’s star guard who played just three games this season because of a torn ACL she suffered in last year’s NCAA tournament and then one she re-tore on Jan. 4 against Notre Dame.

Against Wake Forest on Jan. 15, Peterson scored 10 points in the game’s final 2:39, including a three-point play that extended Syracuse’s lead to nine points with 59 seconds to go.

“Alexis Peterson just had a field day on us,” WFU head coach Jen Hoover said after the game, a 73-62 SU victory.

It’s been a similar statement echoed by other ACC coaches.

Miami head coach Kate Meier on Feb. 12: “Alexis Peterson, I’ll tell you, that kid is responsible for 25 of their points every time they play, with her assists and scoring. As good as Brianna Butler is, Alexis Peterson was somebody we had to talk about a ton in prepping. And she (still) had 21 points.”

North Carolina head coach Sylvia Hatchell on Feb. 5: “She’s a very good player. She can come off screens, shoot open shots. She’s just a really tough, little player.”

But Hillsman said he thinks Peterson, a second-team all-ACC honoree, has already introduced herself beyond the ACC.

“I guarantee you that teams are game planning for her,” the coach said. “I think she’s going to realize when she walks on the floor that our opponent is going to know who she is and exactly where she is.

“She’s the glue to our team right now.”

Peterson played just 11 minutes in SU’s NCAA tournament opening-round game against Chattanooga last year, scoring three points on three free throws and not recording a single assist. Then, with Sykes sidelined, Peterson played 19 minutes against Kentucky and scored 12 points on 4-of-6 shooting.

But this season, Peterson averaged 33 minutes. Last year’s starting point guard Rachel Coffey has graduated, and last year’s backup Cornelia Fondren has shifted to play more shooting guard and forward.

It’s now Peterson’s time to shine.

“I just want to play my game,” she said. “Stay focused, stay humble and be ready to compete at all times.”