Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Alexa Abdalla

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

Alexa Abdalla has the Eye of Horus, a symbol of protection, tattooed on her shoulder. She became fascinated with ancient Egypt after she watched “The Mummy Returns.”

Alexa Abdalla’s fascination with Egypt is depicted by her tattoo of the Eye of Horus, an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection.

Even though Abdalla, a junior English and textual studies major, got the tattoo this past summer, her love for Egypt began at a young age after her father took her to see “The Mummy Returns.” “The Mummy” and “The Mummy Returns” are still two of her favorite movies.

“I love thinking about the world in that time,” Abdalla said.

Located on the back of her left shoulder, the Eye of Horus is intended to ward off evil according to ancient Egyptian mythology. Horus was a sky god, and his right eye, known as the Eye of Ra, is associated with the sun god while his left eye often represents the moon. Sailors would often paint the symbol on their boat to ensure safe sea travel.

Abdalla said she loves the idea that the Ancient Egyptians lived so long ago, but still created such an advanced society, and that visiting Egypt is on the top of her bucket list.

“The fact that they had no technology and had to come up with stories to tell for the way the world works — I just think that’s really cool,” Abdalla said. “We have our textbooks and science and everything, but they had absolutely no inkling.”

She came to college as an archaeology major, but decided to switch to English and textual studies due to her love for stories. In addition to ancient Egyptian culture, Abdalla also loves Greek mythology.

“I’m more interested in the stories that people have to tell rather than the evolutionary structure of our bodies,” Abdalla said.

She also has the Native American symbol for protection against evil spirits tattooed on her wrist — it was her first tattoo, which she got shortly after turning 18.

“I’m a superstitious person, I guess,” Abdalla said. “Tattoos obviously can’t actually protect you from anything, but I still like having it on me.”