From the Kitchen

Tang Flavor near Armory Square serves authentic Chinese food for reasonable price

Jackie Barr | Staff Photographer

The Kung Pao squid, listed as a spicy dish, contains chili peppers and squid tentacles. Located near Armory Square, Tang Flavor boasts authentic Chinese food. The menu is split between “Real Chinese Food” and “Tang Flavor Chinese Food.”

I arrived at Tang Flavor, the self-proclaimed authentic Chinese food restaurant located less than a mile away from Armory Square, with very minimal expectations. But I came to the conclusion that this is the best hidden jewel I have ever found in my four years at Syracuse.

The room is divided in two with a tiled lunch express line set buffet-style. Alternatively, you can walk into the seated dining area, like I did, and sit down in a booth. The seated area is beautifully furnished with light wood panel lining the walls, red and gold upholstered seats, lantern lights and hanging plants. Despite the decor, the restaurant was almost deserted, all but confirming my expectations of another Americanized Chinese food restaurant.

I was asked to seat myself wherever I would like, and the waiter immediately brought over water, a bowl of peanuts and cutlery.

I immediately noticed the menu was separated. Half was titled “Real Chinese Food” and the other “Tang Flavor Chinese Food.”

I felt myself getting excited — with an entire section of its menu dedicated to “real” Chinese food, this place might just be the authentic stuff I love.

It really was. I started with the steamed dumplings appetizer and a small wonton soup. The first dish that arrived was stuffed with sweetly marinated meat, drizzled in a slightly spicy satay sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds. The plate was also decorated with an adorable little green pepper and carrot heart.

The entrees were all huge, and each came with its own bowl of sticky white rice. I ordered the dry pot style chicken, which was served over an apparatus similar to a fondue pot with an open flame. It was definitely the best purchase of the evening.

I also had the spicy Kung Pao squid and the small beef lo mein. The dry pot chicken was soft, chewy and served in a sweet black pepper sauce with bamboo shoots, celery, onions, bell peppers and snap peas.

The menu contained a very simple code, regular items listed in black with spicy dishes listed in red. The Kung Pao squid was listed as a spicy dish, but I ordered it anyway — a big step for me — and paired with the rice. I found it to be totally manageable. I just had to strategically navigate between the chili beans mingling amongst the squid tentacles.

There wasn’t anything special about the beef lo mein and it was your standard Chinese noodle dish. Greasier than the first two, the noodles were fat and juicy, and the beef was tender and soft. Neither the lo mein nor the Kung Pao squid came with vegetables, so if you are looking to add a little bit of green to the mix, I would recommend looking at the vegetables section of the menu.

At the end of my meal, the waiter brought me little takeout boxes for the leftovers, orange slices and a fortune cookie.

If you are a Syracuse University student who thinks No. 1 Kitchen represents real Chinese cuisine, you need to visit Tang Flavor before you graduate. It’s a great place to go with a group, as you can order a couple of appetizers and entrees and easily share them.

The restaurant does takeout as well with a $15 minimum, so next time you are about to check out GrubHub, shake it up and order from Tang Flavor. As my fortune cookie said, “If you wait too long for the perfect moment, the perfect moment will pass you by.”