Campus Master Plan

SU hires outside consultant to assess possible options for Carrier Dome’s future

Syracuse University has hired an outside consultant to look into the possibility of a new, fixed roofing system on the Carrier Dome, Chancellor Kent Syverud said in an interview with The Daily Orange on Monday.

The consultant is Populous, a global architecture firm that specializes in designing sports facilities. Populous has 13 offices worldwide and six offices in the United States, and has designed stadiums such as Kyle Field at Texas A&M University and Baylor University’s McLane Stadium, which opened in 2014.

The university hasn’t ruled out any option in dealing with the Carrier Dome’s future, Syverud said. Since last spring, SU has been looking into three main possibilities for the Dome — maintaining its current design and the air-supported roof, installing a different roofing system on the current site or building an off-site stadium. An off-site stadium remains an option “should there be substantial support for that given its great expense,” Syverud said.

The university has been focusing most recently on the second option, which is installing an alternative roofing system, Syverud said. Populous has been brought in to gather information about that option. The company has visited campus multiple times and has worked with the entire campus community, Syverud said.

Later this semester, Populous will have an opportunity to publicly present its ideas for “widespread community feedback,” he said.

Stewart Ervie, the project manager of the team looking into the Dome’s roof options, did not respond Monday to a phone call and an email. Ervie is based in Populous’ Kansas City office, according to the company’s website.

In January 2014, city and state officials discussed the possibility of building a new, off-site stadium in Syracuse with the help of state funding. Mayor Stephanie Miner appointed a task force to look into the possibility of a new stadium, while Syverud created a workgroup to look into the viability of the Carrier Dome’s roof.

However, discussions about replacing the Dome have since died down. The university’s ongoing assessment of options for the Dome’s future is being done in coordination with the Campus Master Plan.

Syverud said last spring that he hoped to make a decision about which option to pursue within the next two years. He said on Monday that he’s still hoping the university will know which option will be selected “by the end of next academic year.”