Student Association

Organization votes to change organization name, establishes new committee

Beginning April 17, the Student Government Association will be making a comeback.

The Syracuse University Student Association voted during Monday night’s meeting in Maxwell Auditorium to change the name of its organization back to SGA, a provision included in the first phase of the Federalization Act, which was passed after lengthy deliberation during the meeting. Provisions in the bill included the SA name change, the creation of the Special Committee on the Budget, the merged Student Affairs Committee and the redefining of the Student Engagement Committee.

After a series of discussions and voting on amendments to the bill, the federalization bill passed through a final voting period.

As a part of an amendment to the constitution, SA will change its name to SGA on April 17, according to the bill. This date follows SA’s presidential elections, which begin on April 13. As of now, the title SA will remain in place until that time.

Another provision of the bill was the creation of the budget committee, a group that is responsible for helping the president and cabinet create the internal operating budget of SA, according to the bill.

President Boris Gresely said the budget committee was put in the bill to allow members of SA to get their hands on the operating budget and offer their advice. He said he wanted a checks and balance system on the creation of the internal operating budget.

Amendments were voted on and added to this provision to make sure assembly representatives are chosen from the floor of the assembly to be in the committee, and to ensure that the committee will meet during the budget season.

In addition, a proposal to merge the Student Life and Academic Affairs Committees was voted down.

The Student Engagement Committee will now become the Committee on Registered Student Organizations under the bill. The committee will serve as a liaison to all RSO’s and will be responsible for rallying and gaining support for the organizations, according to the bill.

Thomas said that while the passing of the first phase of the Federalization Act goes into effect immediately, the transition into some of the changes would be a process.

In other business, Gresely said he and Chief of Staff Brittany Moore have been testing the Chat & Dine with Faculty and Staff Program to work out the kinks and make sure the program is functioning well. The Chat & Dine Program will give students the ability to have lunch with their professors at the Goldstein Faculty & Alumni Center, according to SA’s annual report.

Correction: In a Tuesday, Feb. 17 article titled “Organization votes to change official name,” the status of two committees was misstated. The Student Life Committee and Academic Affairs Committee will not merge under the Federalization Act. The Daily Orange regrets this error.