Reserve center Day suspended by SU, doesn’t make trip to Florida State

Reserve center Bria Day has been suspended by Syracuse, an SU Athletics spokesman confirmed on Monday evening.

The length of the suspension is unknown, as is the reason. But Day, a sophomore, did not make the trip to Florida State for SU’s matchup with the No. 9 Seminoles on Monday.

“Bria just had a little bump in the road, and it’s something that won’t be detrimental,” Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman said after the game. “We have certain standards on our team that we hold our players to, and she just didn’t do it.

“ … It’s not really an issue of if and when, it’s just the issue of her getting back to doing the things we need her to do at all times.”

Day has been largely in a backup role this season, averaging 1.1 points and 2.8 rebounds in 10.5 minutes. Her twin sister Briana Day — who’s 0.1 points shy of averaging a double-double — has established herself as one of the premier post players in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Without Bria Day, Syracuse is thin in the frontcourt. Amber Witherspoon becomes the primary backup center. Taylor Ford, who is just 6 feet tall, has also played the position at limited times this season.

“Bria is important for us and we need to get her back and get her onto the court to help us win some games,” Hillsman said. “She’s a good kid and we’ll get her back in the gym and move forward.”

Staff writer Josh Hyber, [email protected], contributed reporting to this article.