Editorial Board

Recruiters should use Snapchat cautiously

Last February, the National Collegiate Athletic Association passed a resolution that allowed Snapchat communication between coaches and recruits in a multitude of sports. Using Snapchat is a useful tool that can build relationships between potential players and coaching staffs, but should be used with caution.

While the NCAA made this ruling nearly a year ago, colleges could only start using Snapchat on Aug. 1, 2014. Since then some programs have taken to using this social media app.

Snapchat allows users to share photos and videos up to ten seconds in length with their friends. Users can also publish a series of their photos and videos as a part of “My Story.” This allows all their friends on Snapchat to view the content an unlimited number of times with in a 24-hour window. Snapchat also has a feature that allows users to message one another, and as soon as both parties have viewed the message or leave the chat the messages disappear.

Snapchat’s impermanence, as well as its informality, could lead to potential problems and concerns. While there is a potential to screenshot the images sent via Snapchat, the majority of the content shared disappears without any record. Because of this, users are apt to share more casual interactions. It’s important that coaches and recruits who choose to use Snapchat partake in appropriate conversations.

Athletic programs that decide to use Snapchat should also view the app as supplemental communication. The app can serve to make the recruiting process more personal for all parties involved. It should not, however, trump personal letters, phone calls and in-person contact.

The NCAA recognizing Snapchat as a permissible form of communication is not a surprise and falls in line with its past rulings that allow messages via Facebook, Twitter and text. Coaches and recruits should use these platforms to build relationships and learn more about each other. As long as Snapchat communication remains professional, it can be a useful tool in the recruitment process.