Letters to the Editor

NYPIRG empowers students to fight for a clean, affordable energy future

Students and community members will have an opportunity to voice their opinions on the future of renewable energy in New York, thanks to the Reforming Energy Vision initiative. Organized by Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the NYS Public Service Commission, REV plans to develop a comprehensive approach in making New York’s energy infrastructure more efficient and reliable. REV envisions lowering utility costs and reducing reliance on fossil fuels.

New York state is already behind its commitment to 30 percent renewable energy by 2015; the state currently gets 22 percent of its electricity from renewables. In order to protect public health and reverse the catastrophic consequences of climate change, NYPIRG recommends the state increase its renewable energy production to 50 percent by 2025, meet 20 percent of increasing demand through increased efficiency by 2025 and reduce climate pollution by 80 percent by 2050. These goals will ensure New York is a leader in energy sustainability, boosting the green jobs sector and combating climate change.

REV seeks to combine objectives of environmental sustainability and consumer protection. It will investigate adding electricity storage mechanisms, providing more consistent energy production and delivery. By making smart investments in efficiency and alternative energies, utilities can save some of the estimated $30 billion in repairs over the next decade, which would have been shifted to the ratepayers.

Understanding what citizens and consumers want is central to REV. The New York State Public Service Commission will be holding a series of public forums across the state and a public comment period. NYPIRG will be working to share information on the initiative and generate public comments from students at SU and ESF and will ensure the voices of students are heard.

All members of the university community should take advantage of this opportunity. The direction New York takes in its energy policy will have direct implications to us all. Here in Syracuse, we can benefit from increased regulations on incinerators such as the one in Jamesville and government support for existing initiatives like Solarize Syracuse. Citizens should seize this opportunity to impact everything from how much their electricity bills are to reducing the effects of climate change.

Jonathan Schmidt
Class of 2018, political science and geography