Tennis

No. 34 Syracuse fails to pick up 1st conference win in 4-2 loss to No. 26 Notre Dame

Syracuse came into South Bend, Indiana, hoping to earn its first Atlantic Coast Conference win, but despite some positive results, wasn’t able to pull off the upset.

The top half of the singles lineup was strong for the No. 34 Orange (5-4, 0-3 ACC), but weaker play in the four-through-six spots and the doubles lineup led to a 4-2 loss to No. 26 Notre Dame (7-3, 3-0).

In doubles play, senior Komal Safdar and sophomore Valeria Salazar were the only SU players to land in the win column, winning 8-5.

Senior Amanda Rodgers and freshman Nicole Mitchell only took two games from the No. 21-ranked tandem of Quinn Gleason and Monica Robinson, while senior Breanna Bachini and sophomore Rhiann Newborn kept their match closer with an 8-6 loss.

Syracuse’s two points both came in singles play. Salazar dominated the first set 6-1 before Robinson retired, forfeiting the point to the Orange.

Newborn also played a strong match, defeating her opponent, 6-3, 6-3.

Rodgers found early success by winning the first set 6-4 against Gleason. Gleason followed up with a 6-1 second-set victory, though, and she matched that score in the third to take the point for Notre Dame.

Safdar held her own in her first set, losing 6-4, but lost six straight games in the second to lose her match.

Sophomore Olivia Messineo saw a similar result, losing the first set 6-2 before dropping the second by a score of 6-0.

Bachini put up a strong fight, winning the first set 6-4 before losing the second 2-6. The third set score was close at 3-4 in her opponent’s favor when the match ended.

The Orange will once again try for its first ACC win when it returns home to play against Pittsburgh on Sunday morning at Drumlins Tennis Center.

Compiled by Kevin Pacelli, staff writer, [email protected]