Letters to the Editor

Hendricks Chapel responds to the murders at UNC Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University

At Hendricks Chapel we seek to be a strong moral and ethical voice, amplifying a diverse yet unified voice for justice in our campus community, nation and world. This is especially true as we respond to violence on our campus and on campuses throughout the nation and world.  Among our diverse set of faith-based traditions, there are a number of different explanations for tragic acts of injustice in the world.  However, few explanations can even begin to provide solace to those who have been following the disturbing story emerging from the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University this week.

The Chaplains’ Council of Hendricks Chapel believes in the sanctity of human life above all else.  We mourn with the Chapel Hill community and send our deepest and most sincere condolences to the family and friends of Deah Shaddy Barakat, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha, and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha.

As the details of the tragedy unfold, judgments are made, and motives determined, let us not lose sight of our personal and communal responsibility to heal the world, spread peace and promote understanding.  You can be a force to prevent further tragedies. We can be a force, diverse yet unified, to prevent further tragedies.

In response to this news, the Chaplains’ Council of Hendricks Chapel offer their support and assistance to students in need.  No matter what your faith tradition or non-faith tradition feel free to reach out to an individual chaplaincy or come to Hendricks Chapel any time if you would like to discuss this tragedy further in a safe and supportive environment.

Rev. Stephanie Castro, Historically Black Church Chaplain
Rev. Pedro Castro, Historically Black Church Chaplain
Fr. Linus DeSantis, Roman Catholic Chaplain
Mary Hudson, HPs, Pagan Chaplain
Rev. Colleen Preuninger, UME Chaplain
Rev. Gail Riina, Lutheran Chaplain
Richard Russell (Abu Essa), Muslim Chaplain
Rev. Jonathan Santiago, Baptist Chaplain
Rev. Jikio Bonnie Shoultz, Buddhist Chaplian
Brian Small, Hillel Executive Director