centro

Centro cuts bus services amidst budget deficit

The Syracuse University community may see reduced bus service at nighttime as a result of proposed budget cut, and Syracuse University could see a few changes in routes as well.

Frank Kobliski, executive director of the Central New York Regional Transportation Authority or Centro, submitted testimony to the New York State Assembly Thursday, hinting the organization may suspend bus service during the night due to its $4.5 million budget deficit starting April 1.

“If there is no change to our revenue stream, we will have no choice but to initiate drastic cuts in service, especially — but not exclusively — in Syracuse and Onondaga County,” he said in the testimony.

If budgetary struggles continue, Centro will suspend its operations as well as its paratransit service for passengers with disabilities after 9 p.m. on weekdays, 7 p.m. on Saturdays and all day on Sundays and holidays. In addition, the number of bus trips to Utica as well as services in Oswego and Cayuga counties would be eliminated.

The direct effect on SU students would remain small, said Scot Vanderpool, manager of SU’s Parking and Transit Services, in an email.

“The service that we currently run on campus, such as the South Campus, Manley, East Campus, Quad Shuttle, Connective Corridor, Ultimate Transit James Street, Ultimate Transit Nob Hill, are under contract and will not be affected by Centro’s proposed budget cuts,” Vanderpool said.

If the budget cut takes place, however, some services that SU students use would be rolled back.

“If reduction of city service does occur, it will affect the city-type (buses) that operate through our campus such as the No. 240 Nob Hill, No. 530 Euclid-Westcott and the No. 50 Destiny USA,” Vanderpool said.

Centro’s Preliminary Budget and Financial Plan for fiscal year 2015–16 indicates Centro is struggling financially.

“It is expected that there will be another six figure loss in fiscal year 2015,” according to the report.

Steven Koegel, Centro director of marketing and communications, could not be reached for comment.

According to Centro’s preliminary budget and financial plan, total expenses for fiscal year 2016–17 would rise to $67,542,000 compared to $64,357,300 for fiscal year 2015–16.

The operating income loss in 2016–17 would be $4,448,000, compared to $1,773,950 in 2015–16, according to the report.

In April 2014, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced $29.3 million in allocation for Centro for the 2014–15 budget. Cuomo is intending to earmark the same amount for the distressed public transportation provider in the budget this year, according to a Jan. 29 Syracuse.com article.