Editorial Board

Ban will allow SU to move forward

Syracuse University’s self-imposed sanction on the men’s basketball team may not be well received by fans, but is a wise decision for the SU basketball program as a whole.

On Wednesday, Chancellor Kent Syverud announced a ban that will bar the team from postseason play in the 2014–15 season as a part of the case pending before the NCAA Committee on Infractions.

The case began in 2007 when the university self-reported possible infractions in the athletics department. The case has been ongoing for eight years; SU taking this step helps to put the matter in the past. Syverud indicated that the university believes, “these sanctions are consistent with those imposed on other NCAA schools in similar cases.”

This ruling is upsetting to fans, but it comes during a less than stellar season. The fact is the team is currently 15-7, and has yet to face some of its most challenging opponents. As a result, the hopes that SU would advance far in tournament play have not been as high as they have been in years past.

The violations that are being looked into took place years ago. No infractions occurred after 2012 and no current members of the team are involved, according to the university. While this decision may be best for SU’s basketball program as a whole, it is certainly unfair for the individuals who have to pay the price for mistakes that are not their own.

SU men’s basketball captains Rakeem Christmas, Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije released a joint statement to expressing their disappointment, and went on to assure the fans that this ruling, “won’t change how hard (they) will continue to work in practice and in games.”

It is rare for a school of such athletic prominence to take ownership of its past mistakes on this scale. Some have speculated that it is being done to lessen the severity of the impending punishment the NCAA will hand down.

By getting this sanction out of the way, the men’s basketball program can move forward to a brighter future and won’t have to play with impending doom hanging above its players’ heads.