Thirsty Thursday

Thirsty Thursday: Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale

Keegan Barber | Staff Photographer

Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale does not embody the complexity of Chicago, where it is brewed. The wheat ale has a yellow pour and a light citrus flavor at first sip.

On the bank of Lake Michigan, Chicago, or the Windy City — as it’s commonly called — boasts an incredible art scene, successful professional sports teams and the famous deep-dish pizza, which people travel from all over to try.

Not only is the Goose Island Beer Company located in Chicago, but its 312 Urban Wheat Ale pays homage to the city with the skyline on the bottle. The 312 name is also a reference to the downtown Chicago area code. But this beer fails to represent the complexity and diversity of a city like Chicago.

A simple beer isn’t always a bad beer. The aroma and flavor of this brew mirrors the yellow label on the bottle and the yellowish pour, with hints of lemon. That citrus taste is the first and one of the only prominent flavors that comes through when the beer first hits the taste buds. That sweet, citrus flavor is refreshing and doesn’t last too long on the tongue.

As a wheat beer, I expected that strong, grainy flavor to come through immediately and last. Wheat beers will often overwhelm you with flavor, but the wheat flavor in this ale doesn’t overthrow the more desirable flavors. Beers with a prominent hoppy flavor tend to be my least favorite, but the citrus, lemon and orange tones really save this one for me.

If I would recommend this drink to someone, it certainly wouldn’t be the craft brew expert or someone who has been studying or drinking beers for a while. The Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale is perfect for someone who is just trying to get into the world of beer.

While this drink isn’t particularly complex, it’s certainly enjoyable. The Goose Island website recommends pairing it with salad or fish, if you’re interested in a healthy meal. But I think I’d rather sip it down with a bag of peanuts, watching the Cubs game at Wrigley Field on a warm summer day.