Conservative

Salman: GOP should consider opposition when deciding presidential nominee

At the onset of 2015, even though the election feels a world away, it’s quite a surprise that no one has officially announced his or her candidacy for the 2016 presidency.

In order to have a shot at taking the White House, the GOP needs to be wise with its nominee decision. With Democrats pointing a neon sign at Hillary Clinton, it is imperative to choose a candidate that stands a chance. And who better than Sen. Marco Rubio (R- Florida)?

Shortly after Rep. Paul Ryan (R- Wisconsin) shot down rumors of a possible campaign, many speculated his former running mate Mitt Romney would throw his hat in the ring. The silver fox has the moderate politics to win the election, but Romney’s cold portrayal in the media gets in the way. Romney has had two unsuccessful presidential campaigns, and is considering a third run according to The New York Times.

This doesn’t come as a surprise, considering Romney has been vocal the past few months regarding the president’s executive action and the Obamacare fallout. If the former governor decides to run, he will have to make his platform clear. I hate to be brash, but Mitt, stop trying to make the presidency happen. It’s just not going to happen.

The name Jeb Bush has been a motif of all 2016 election speculation. Liberals will go crazy if they see another Bush on the ballot in 2016. Quite frankly, so will Conservatives if this particular Bush decides to launch a presidential campaign. Sorry Jeb, but this is a bipartisan feeling. With his pro-Common Core attitude and lax view on immigration, he might be a tough sell to the ultra-Conservative crowd. However, if he strongly markets his pro-Second Amendment, pro-Israel and anti-Obamacare stances, then people may forget about the other stuff.

Romney and Bush, in my opinion, have the resume for the job as president. The real problem is that they don’t have the chops to defeat Hillary Clinton. The pantsuit-loving former first lady is popular with women and young adults, who are the two key demographics the GOP needs to win over to come out of this election victorious.

But the candidate with the best chance of successfully going face to face with Hillary is Rubio.

Rubio of Florida is probably one of the most center-right contenders that could defeat Clinton, the former Secretary of State. On CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Rubio said he is “very seriously thinking about” running for president in 2016.”

What’s even better is that “he could give a Democratic nominee a run for her money,” according to the New Republic. He definitely has the platform of someone who could gain support on both sides of the aisle.

He isn’t all gung-ho on tight border security, but in his latest book “American Dreams,” he lays out an attainable path to citizenship plan. He is anti-Obamacare, pro-life and believes that the legalization of gay marriage is a state decision. Lastly, he thinks about us: the college folk. He has a plan to allow students to “make income-based repayment” on loans, which would be a blessing for many.

If he runs, which I believe he will, he will take home the elephant-shaped cake and eat it too.

Vanessa Salman is a sophomore policy studies major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter at @VanessaSalman.