Obokoh delivers on defensive end in expanded minutes against Boston College

Margaret Lin | Web Developer

Chinonso Obokoh swats a John Cain Carney shot in the second half. More was asked of the sophomore with Rakeem Christmas in foul trouble, and the reserve big man delivered on the defensive end.

Chinonso Obokoh’s teammates encouraged him and told him to be aggressive. Rakeem Christmas was in foul trouble and bound for the bench. There were more than 16 minutes left in the game.

But Obokoh didn’t say much back to his team. He just shuffled to his spot at the right block, waiting for Aaron Brown to take his free throws.

Making his first appearance since a five-minute, four-foul performance on Jan. 11 against Florida State, Obokoh had a quiet, but career-high night tallying 16 minutes, four rebounds, two fouls and a block in Syracuse’s (14-5, 5-1 Atlantic Coast) 69-61 win over Boston College (8-9, 0-5). He remains a non-factor on the offensive end of the floor, but defended and rebounded well. It was all that was asked of him and all that was needed for SU to hold on against the Eagles.

“He got us some extra possessions on offense and he played good defense and made people take tough shots and he was big down low,” SU guard Trevor Cooney said. “And that’s what you need a big guy to do. He came in and he did what he could do. I’m really proud of him.”

Defensively, Obokoh said he just needs to stay in position and out of foul trouble. He wasn’t thinking that much when he took the floor, he said, and was much more ready for the occasion than when he came off the bench against the Seminoles.

“I think he had some good minutes for us tonight,” SU forward Michael Gbinije said. “It was nice to see Chino play. I’m a Chino fan myself.”

With 6:35 left in the game, BC’s 7-foot-1 center Dennis Clifford dribbled on the right side and put up what would’ve been an easy two points, only for Obokoh to swat the ball away as Gbinije came over with help from the side.

Obokoh attempted just one shot from the field and said that all he’s asked to do is set screens and get rebounds on offense. Beyond that, Tuesday’s game was just an adjustment to more minutes, but one he felt ready for.

“I play against Rak, the best big man in the country right now,” Obokoh said. “He’s so good. So I know how to move around. So other guys out there it’s a little bit kind of familiar.”