Funk ‘n Waffles opens second location, hopes to expand music scene

Kadijah Watkins | Asst. Photo Editor

Customers sip a drink as they listen to live music at the new Funk 'n Waffles in Armory Square. The new location includes a full bar, daily live music and the same menu as the SU location. The new location boasts a new 21 and over version of the original location.

Beer and waffles is not a typical late-night combination. However, Funk ‘n Waffles Downtown aims to change that.

Most Syracuse University students know of Funk ‘n Waffles as the unique restaurant right next to Chuck’s Cafe that offers an open and artistic ambiance for students.

Funk ‘n Waffles is a staple on campus for students to enjoy funky and delicious waffles, with names ranging from “James Brownie” to “Monte Cristo.” The waffles range from sweet to salty and offer enough variety to meet any customer’s cravings.

This Syracuse University gem is now branching out to a new downtown location. Funk ‘n Waffles Downtown opened last month at 307 S. Clinton St.

While the downtown location has only been open for about five weeks, the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

“There has been a lot of traffic—especially during the lunch/dinner rushes,” said Sam Levey, the general manager of Funk ‘n Waffles Downtown. “But the best part has been seeing the crowds for the music.”

The new venue space is larger than its predecessor and can accommodate larger crowds for concerts. It is not uncommon to see over 100 people on a weeknight enjoying music from local artists, Levey said.

“Our goal is to be a forum for all different types of artists,” said Nicole Addley, a barista at Funk ‘n Waffles Downtown. “We want to book shows from all types of musicians, national, local and student.”

Addley said the downtown Funk ‘n Waffles is hoping to continue the increase in business.

“We just want to keep getting busier and busier,” she said.

The owners were really interested in the downtown area and saw the perfect opportunity, said Levey.

“When Funk ‘n Waffles was featured on ‘Diners, Drive-ins & Dives,’ all the other Syracuse restaurants on the show were downtown near Armory Square,” Levey said.

The new location will offer the same funky, creative vibe as its predecessor, with some slight changes.

“This is the new, slick and adult version of Funk ‘n Waffles,” Levey said.

The downtown location is divided into two sides, one with more traditional booth seating, the other with a full stage, bar and an entire exposed brick wall.

The new location has extended hours; operating hours are Sunday through Thursday 9 a.m. to midnight and Friday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 2:30 a.m.

The menu remains exactly the same, with online ordering options still available through the Square app, which sends an order directly to the cooks. The new Funk ‘n Waffles will also offer a full bar and host 21 and older shows.

Music will still be a focal point of the Funk ‘n Waffles environment, with live music set to play every night. The downtown location will offer a variety of shows along with some regular weekly performances.

Every Monday night will be Grateful Dead Night, Levey said.

“This is a throwback to when Hungry Charlie’s was still in Funk n’ Waffles. They used to host Dead Nights,” said Levey.

Tuesday nights feature an open mic night, which will offer the stage to local popular artists.

December was Pirate Jam, which was hosted by Rob “Zepirate” Hill, a regular act at the Westcott Theater. These jam sessions essentially provide a band and give anyone the opportunity to show their talent, according to a Dec. 8 Post-Standard article.

January and February will offer Tuesday Night pro-jams, which will bring in professional musicians like Chris English and Tim Herron, to play alongside newcomers.

“It’s awesome to see professionals coming in and jamming alongside amateurs and locals,” said Levey. “It is great.”

The open mic nights have been very successful and are absolutely open to student artists looking to get more involved in the local Syracuse music scene, Levey said.

The first Sunday of every month will be open to local singer/songwriters.

“We create a cool atmosphere, dim the lights and make sure to give attention to the artist sharing their personal stories on stage,” he said.

The last singer/songwriter Sunday saw every table packed with full attention given to the musician on stage.

“The entire place was so focused on the music, I even told to the dishwasher to stop making noise,” Levey said. “Everyone was listening to every word they said.”

Isabelle Cutbirth is a huge fan of the Funk ‘n Waffles located near SU’s campus.

“I would love to check the downtown option. Especially since you know there would be music every night,” said Cutbirth, a junior math and biology double major.

Levey said the downtown location is a great place for students of all ages to enjoy the same alternative atmosphere many have come to love at SU.

“Come after you go to the bar and get your waffle on,” Levey said.