Men's Soccer

Bono receives call-up to men’s national team from Klinsmann

Former Syracuse goalkeeper Alex Bono has been called up to the United States Men’s National Team, head coach Jurgen Klinsmann announced on Friday afternoon.

Bono is one of four goalkeepers on the 28-man training camp roster, which includes seven members from the 2014 World Cup roster including captain Clint Dempsey. Bono is the only collegiate goalkeeper on the roster, and is joined by three other MLS players at the position.

“The prize in 2015 for the senior national team is the Gold Cup and this camp will give a lot of our players a chance to kick-start their preparations for an important year,” Klinsmann said in a statement. “We also get an opportunity to introduce the next wave of young players into the program, and in particular work with many of our Olympic-age guys as they build toward qualifying for the 2016 Olympics in Rio.”

After 12 days training in California, Bono and the national team will travel to Chile to take on the Chilean national team on Jan. 28. Its second friendly match will take place on Feb. 8 against Panama in the U.S.

On Friday night, Bono will be in St. Louis, Missouri for the presentation of the MAC Hermann Trophy. The award is given to the nation’s top college soccer player, and Bono is a finalist along with UCLA’s Leo Stolz and North Carolina’s Andy Craven.