florida state

Beat writers predict Syracuse to continue perfect start to conference play

Chase Gaewski | Staff Photographer

The Daily Orange beat writers predict to Orange to slip by the Seminoles to continue its perfect start to conference play.

Phil D’Abbraccio (13-2): Syracuse 60, Florida State 52
Seminholes
The Orange’s frontcourt — mostly Rakeem Christmas — has shouldered the load for SU so far, and Sunday night will be no different. Florida State’s offense relies on its guards, but FSU shoots just 27.5 percent from 3-point territory, a clip that is next to last in the Atlantic Coast Conference and not a formula for success against Syracuse’s lengthy zone. Christmas again carries the Orange to victory as it continues to stumble, yet without falling, throughout the beginning of its ACC schedule.

Jesse Dougherty (13-2): Syracuse 58, Florida State 53
Head of state
Syracuse has been lucky with the start of its ACC schedule and it continues to take advantage against Florida State. The Seminoles’ guard-heavy offense starts slow against the zone and never fully recovers in a game that is decided before the final minutes. That’s when FSU claws back but doesn’t have enough in the tank to hold Rakeem Christmas in check. The Orange is going to go as far as its senior center will carry it, and Christmas won’t falter just yet.

Jacob Klinger (13-2): Syracuse 55, Florida State 50
The basement tour continues
Florida State struggles to find its 3-point shooting stroke – the Seminoles best hope – playing what will be the first game in the Carrier Dome for their players. Expect FSU to heat up partway through the game, putting a scare into the Orange and its understandably jumpy fans before home comfort and SU paint dominance gives Syracuse another win over one of the ACC’s worst.