Men's Soccer

Former Syracuse standouts Bono, Thomas find same MLS home in 1st round of SuperDraft

Former Syracuse standouts Alex Bono and Skylar Thomas were both taken by Toronto FC in the first round of the MLS SuperDraft, with Bono going No. 6 and Thomas No. 11.

Bono was the first goalkeeper off the board, and his selection is the earliest any Syracuse player has been drafted into the league. Thomas was the third defender taken behind Southern Illinois-Edwardsville’s Matt Polster and North Carolina State’s Clement Simonin. Both are the first two first-round picks SU has had in the draft’s 15-year history.

The two former Orange are the first two players from SU drafted since forward Kyle Hall in 2009 and they’ll reunite in Toronto after stellar 2014 campaigns. Bono, who is currently in California training with the U.S. Men’s National Team, was the first SU player to be named a first-team All-American in more than 60 years. Thomas anchored one of the best defenses in the country and scored game-winning goals against Virginia and Boston College.

Former Syracuse left back Jordan Murrell wasn’t among the 42 players selected in the first two rounds, but is likely to be taken in either round three or four on Jan. 20.