Men's basketball

Roberson sits out for 3rd time in 4 games as Orange falls to Red Storm

Syracuse forward Tyler Roberson did not play in the Orange’s (5-3) 69-57 loss to St. John’s (6-1) on Saturday in the Carrier Dome, and head coach Jim Boeheim cited Roberson’s inability to participate in Friday’s practice as the reason.

“He couldn’t practice yesterday. Said he was healthy the other day, didn’t practice yesterday,” Boeheim said after the loss. “He was half speed, said it was bothering him and if you can’t practice the day before the game then you don’t play.”

Roberson has been battling a lower abdominal strain and returned to action in Syracuse’s loss to Michigan on Tuesday after missing two games and scored five points. He then dressed and warmed up prior to the game on Saturday, but didn’t take off his Orange long-sleeve shirt once the two teams tipped off.

In his place, junior forward Michael Gbinije made the first start of his career and scored 13 points in 37 minutes.

While Syracuse out-rebounded St. John’s 40-38, SU guard Trevor Cooney said that Roberson was missed on the boards and also provides the Orange with another scoring threat. Gbinije and forwards Rakeem Christmas and Chris McCullough combined for 41 points Saturday, while the rest of the team scored just 16.

“He’s a good player, he gives us size. He’s another weapon that we have,” Cooney said. “When we’re missing him, yeah, it’s a big thing. Hopefully he can get back and get healthy or what not, and come back here and play for us.”