Men's basketball

Syracuse hopes for increased production from point guard rotation as Louisiana Tech visits Carrier Dome

Margaret Lin | Web Developer

Syracuse's Ron Patterson (left) and Kaleb Joseph (right) combine with forward Michael Gbinije to form the Orange's rotation at point guard, and each one brings a different dynamic to his role.

Kaleb Joseph looks through defenses, Michael Gbinije looks over them and Ron Patterson comes off the bench to fire Syracuse up with a combination of raw energy and shooting.

As an inexperienced Orange (5-3) team tries to find an offensive groove in the final two weeks of nonconference play, it also adjusts to shifts at point guard. When the struggling freshman leaves the floor, either Gbinije, a small forward, or Patterson, a shooting guard, takes over at the point.

And while SU gets back to playing non-power conference teams when it faces Louisiana Tech (7-2)  at 4 p.m. in the Carrier Dome on Sunday, it does so with an offense that will continue to change with its point guards and their imperfections.

Joseph has a 1.6 assist-to-turnover ratio. Gbinije’s is 1.0 and Patterson, who as a shooter is often making the extra pass, has a mark of 3.2.

“As long as I’m playing, that’s what I really care about,” Gbinije said.

Just 1:06 after coming in for Joseph in the second half of Syracuse’s Dec. 6 game against St. John’s, Patterson sunk a 3 from above the left corner to bring the Orange within five of the Red Storm.

It was the start of a gradual rally by the Orange in a game it ultimately lost, and summed up Patterson’s role in an offense in flux. He comes into games, the Carrier Dome crowd gets excited, he shoots the looks he finds and gets hot when they go in.

He’s a boost off the bench — just one with production that has only come in spurts.

“He brings energy and we like having him off the bench,” SU guard Trevor Cooney said. “He can shoot, so he’ll come around as a shooter.”

In the mean time, Gbinije remains the Orange’s second-choice point guard. He’s not nearly as fluid as Joseph, often hesitating at the arc before working his way into an offensive set.

But the 6-foot-7 forward who frequently defends the wings of SU’s 2-3 zone does bring an expanded court vision.

“Mike, he’s big and he’s tall so he sees the floor a little more,” SU forward Chris McCullough said. “He’s just got to make better decisions, that’s it.”

The three men that bring the ball up the court for the Orange reflect Syracuse’s start to the season.

For every compliment from teammates there is a qualification. Joseph slashes down the court but takes the wrong shot or dribbles the wrong lane. Gbinije is built to play for Syracuse and sees more, but doesn’t always know what to do with it. Patterson brings excitement, but also sighs to the Carrier Dome crowd.

And ultimately, like the rest of the Orange, more of Patterson’s shots need to go in.

“Coach tells him to shoot ‘em,” McCullough said. “If he’s open he’s got to make them.”