Central New York

SU community members participate in CNY AIDS walk as part of World AIDS Day

For the first time in a few years, Syracuse University community members gathered in front of Hendricks Chapel to take part in the CNY AIDS walk.

About 30 people participated in the CNY AIDS walk and vigil in remembrance of those who have died or are currently suffering from AIDS. The walk and vigil were a part of some of the day’s events put on by the New York State Department of Health Community for World AIDS Day.

“We have not been able to have a walk the past, due to the weather, but we decided that we need to bring awareness and we need to be more visible,” said John Wikiera, chair of the Central New York HIV Care Network.

Wikiera said this year’s walk was the first time it has engaged with religious communities, and it was the first time the walk began at Hendricks Chapel as well.

“By joining with other churches we show that we partner with different faith communities,” Wikiera said. “We want to show that we welcome anyone who wants to join with us and raise awareness and are willing to work with them.”

Throughout the walk, participants carried lit candles and a large red cloth in the shape of a ribbon, the symbol for the life threatening disease. The walkers first stopped at Temple Concord Synagogue on University Avenue, where they were greeted by Rabbi Daniel Fellman. The participants then continued on to the Grace Episcopal Church across the street and finished at University United Methodist Church where they placed their candles on the altar at the front of the church in remembrance of the lives lost due to the AIDS virus.

Rene Guo, a freshman economics major at SU participated in the event because he thinks the disease still needs more attention so a cure can be found. “I think it is the most serious disease in the world and people should pay more attention to it,” Guo said.

SU’s Lutheran Chaplain Gail Riina spoke to participants at Hendricks Chapel before the walk began.

“Today we act to make a difference and remember those who have been affected by HIV and AIDS,” Riina said. “It is a day of sadness, but also a day of joy as we recommit ourselves to make a change especially around finding a cure so we no longer have to mourn for this disease.”

Members of the Lambda Sigma Upsilon fraternity, which brings awareness to HIV and AIDS for its national philanthropy, also welcomed the walkers and thanked them for their participation. The fraternity also helped co-sponsor the event.

The group also received prayers from SU’s Muslim Chaplain Richard “Abu Essa” Russell, Lutheran Chaplain Gail Riina and a Buddhist tradition statement from JoAnn Cooke before they began.

In honor of the 22 million people who have died from AIDS since 1981, the participants had a moment of silence only interrupted by the names of individuals who were infected or affected by AIDS. They were also asked to sign papers that will be given to the state legislature in Albany to ask for funds for education and medication to prevent further spreading of the disease.