Editorial Board

Students should be considered in concert ticket prices

While it’s exciting that Billy Joel will perform at the Carrier Dome this spring, tickets prices for future big-name acts should be made more accommodating to Syracuse University students.

It was announced Monday that Joel will perform at the Carrier Dome on March 20, 2015, presented by AEG Live, the live-entertainment division of the Los Angeles-based AEG.

Hopefully this is the beginning of large-scale acts performing at the Carrier Dome. But because this is on SU’s campus, there should be an adjusted ticket price or student section for the concert.

Tickets, which go on sale Saturday, will be priced at $59.50 and $89.50 before fees. Concerts that take place at SU rarely have ticket costs over $20 and the expensive ticket price could deter some students from attending the event.

Since Joel is a famous and accomplished artist, tickets don’t necessarily need to be as cheap as they would be for other concerts held at SU. But, there should still be price accommodations for SU students, as it is being held on a college campus. There are some students on campus who simply can’t afford a $90 concert ticket. 

Because of this, for future concerts, there should be a designated student section that offers tickets at a reduced price. This wouldn’t take tickets away from those in the Syracuse community, but would still allow students to have a discounted price.

Though this event is open to everyone, it is being held on SU’s campus and students should have been considered when pricing the tickets. The announcement of the Billy Joel concert should be the start of hosting many big-names in the Carrier Dome, but organizers should remember that the event is still taking place at SU.