Editorial Board

Student Association should work to make efforts known on campus

Student Association has helped improved the day-to-day life of Syracuse University’s students, but should work to bolster its presence on campus.

Similar to past administrations, this semester, SA has tackled large issues that face all institutions of higher learning, such as sexual assault, diversity and alcohol use. But something SA has done better than past administrations is introduce programs with a smaller scope that will directly affect the student body.

But if SA doesn’t actively take ownership of its achievements, its ability to accurately represent the student body will be impeded.

Three initiatives that will commence next semester include the installation of heat lamps at the College Place bus stop, the creation of more phone charging stations in campus buildings and the introduction of a new program, Chat and Dine, that gives students the opportunity get lunch with SU faculty. It’s good that these smaller changes are being implemented, since they can be tangible successes over the course of a semester.

But SA should claim responsibility for its initiatives, because by not actively promoting them, students might assume that the university provided these new additions. The more SA publicizes its accomplishments, the more likely students will be to turn to the organization with their grievances.

SA’s subdued leadership was evident when it passed up an opportunity to make its voice heard by addressing THE General Body. While SA created a seven-person ad hoc committee to read and make recommendations about THE General Body’s grievance and demands document, SA should have taken a public stance during THE General Body’s sit-in, whether it was in support, opposition or division in regards to group’s goals. SA is intended to act as a liaison between administration and students, but it did not fulfill this role during the sit-in. SA should have taken a public stance on THE General Body while negotiations were underway.

The initiatives passed during this semester are proof that SA representatives are attempting and succeeding to make SU a better place for the students. But unless SA can be better about making its work known, its accomplishments will be overlooked.