iSchool

Senior associate dean named interim dean of School of Information Studies

School of Information Studies Senior Associate Dean Jeffrey Stanton has been appointed interim dean of the school starting Jan. 1, Syracuse University announced on Friday. Stanton will take over for current dean Liz Liddy who was named interim vice chancellor and provost.

Liddy will take the place of current Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina who will step down from his position at the end of 2014. Liddy’s new role will also start on Jan. 1.

The appointments of Liddy to interim vice chancellor and Spina’s stepping down were confirmed by the Board of Trustees’ Executive Committee yesterday, according to an iSchool press release.

In an email sent to iSchool students Friday morning about the changes, Liddy said her appointment shows the university and Board of Trustees have a “very strong appreciation” of the iSchool. She also praised Stanton.

“I have worked closely with Jeff during my time as dean and am a very strong believer in his capabilities and dedication to our iSchool,” she said in the email to iSchool students. “I know that our school will be in excellent hands.”

During 2012 and 2013, Stanton was a Fellow of the American Council on Education in the Emerging Higher Education Leaders program. Prior to the A.C.E. Fellowship, Stanton was associate vice president for research at SU. Stanton received tenure in 2004 and became a full professor in 2011.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to serve as interim dean for the iSchool and to carry on the extraordinary work of Dean Liddy and our talented group of faculty, students and staff members,” Stanton said in the release.