andrew cuomo

Miner’s ‘Syracuse Billion’ plan focuses on need for infrastructure improvements

Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner submitted a plan to the governor recently that would use $1 billion in state funding to improve city infrastructure

During Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s re-election campaign this year, he proposed a $1.5 billion upstate revitalization fund similar to the $1 billion promised to Buffalo in 2012, according to a syracuse.com article published early last week. On Nov. 25, Miner sent Cuomo the “Syracuse Billion” plan. Miner’s plan focuses on using the money to improve the city’s infrastructure.

The money would be used to replace 550 miles of water mains that continue to break every year, according to the “Syracuse Billion” report. The project would cost about $726 million, and some of the remaining $1 billion would go toward fixing roads and infrastructure across Syracuse.

Jake Barrett, co-chair of the Department of Public Works Committee, said an average of three water mains broke per week in Syracuse last year. The majority of water main breaks occur in December through April, he added.

“The city has unlimited demands for repairs in terms of water break repairs,” he said.

Syracuse spends approximately $2 million per year on water main repairs, Barrett said. He added that the main problem water breaks are causing is social inconvenience. For example, if a water main breaks near a popular location, people will have to travel around that and change their plans accordingly, he said.

“There’s a cost that’s obvious for laundromats and restaurants, but you can’t put a collar figure on social costs,” Barrett said.

Another proposal included in the “Syracuse Billion” is to invent a cooling system using Skaneateles Lake water. However, Barrett said he thinks the project is not as important as fixing the water main situation.

“I think cooling lake water is not really something that is high priority right now compared to all the other repairs,” he said. “Repairs for basic infrastructure is most important along with road and sewer repair.”

Unlike Barrett, Khalid Bey, also co-chair of the Department of Public Works Committee, said he thinks the cooling system project makes sense. Bey cited the report and said the water project can cut down the municipal costs and save taxpayers money.

The project will also lead to improvements around Interstate 81, and can help the city determine how to more effectively use the land there. Bey said he has his own ideas he would like to implement to make better use of Syracuse’s land resources.

He added that he supports the planning and development of the I-81 area.

“Most people can’t see how this plan affects roads and infrastructure,” Bey said. “It’s important not only to create safe paths to and from work, but also in reducing congestion and improving business.”

Cuomo must approve the plan before it is put into action. Bey said he has heard members in the Department of Public Works Committee argue that the “Syracuse Billion” both does and does not satisfy Cuomo’s request.

“I’m not sure if Cuomo will approve it, but the main thing he’s looking for is economic impact,” Bey said. He added that he believes true economic change comes from increasing employment numbers, and said he thinks “Syracuse Billion” can satisfy Cuomo’s request.

The governor will most likely propose the $1.5 billion upstate revitalization fund in January as part of his 2015 budget, according to the syracuse.com article. It will then have to be approved by the New York State Senate and Assembly. Then, the state’s Regional Economic Development Councils will present ideas, he said.

Said Bey: “It’s a pretty robust plan, I look forward to seeing what the response is from the state.”