From the studio

Junior brings talent for singing, dancing, acting to Syracuse Stage’s ‘Hairspray’

Courtesy of Austin Holmes

Austin Holmes is a singer, dancer and actor. The junior acting major won “Syracuse Idol” in 2012 and is preparing to play Seaweed in “Hairspray.”

For Austin Holmes, his dream role took priority over a big opportunity.

Holmes, who won “Syracuse Idol” in 2012, decided to turn down his “American Idol” opportunity in order to pursue a role in “Hairspray,” which opens at the Syracuse Stage/Drama Theater Complex on Dec. 5. He said his experience on the Syracuse Stage has been just as rewarding.

“‘American Idol’ (would) give me those 15 minutes of fame, but I would not like to have a career that’s only 15 minutes,” said Holmes, a junior acting major. “If an opportunity like ‘American Idol’ is truly meant to be, then I believe it will come around again.”

Although Holmes landed his dream role as Seaweed in the production, saying yes to “Hairspray” wasn’t simple. He was approached for a private “American Idol” audition in the summer, made it past the show’s producer auditions and auditioned for celebrity judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick, Jr.

Holmes had his first solo when he was 3 years old in a children’s choir. From there, the singer, dancer and actor started performing in plays.

Holmes followed his experience with “Syracuse Idol” by starting his own YouTube channel. He said winning the competition boosted his confidence and gave him the opportunity to perform in other locations on campus. Holmes eventually became signed to Syracuse University Recordings and describes his vocal style as stemming from hip-hop and rhythm and blues.

A self-described “go-getter,” Holmes said he is constantly working on pursuing his dreams.

“The hardest part is always keeping my courage up and keeping my momentum up, to really stay positive about everything because it’s very hard to have everything go your way,” Holmes said. “I’m very proud of myself for stepping out and doing what I’ve always wanted to do.”

Emma Frazier, a junior communication and rhetorical studies and political science double major, is both one of Holmes’ biggest supporters and critics. As Holmes’ close friend, she attends many of his performances on campus and is a source of honest feedback for him. Frazier said that she feels Holmes’ performing ability is among his greatest strength as an artist.

“It’s his showmanship,” Frazier said. “He really performs, I know he has a good voice, I know he can dance, (but) I really feel what he’s performing.”

Holmes received more useful feedback on his overall performance skills this past summer after he appeared on BET’s show “Apollo Live.” He said the show displayed his vocal talent and led to a larger following on his YouTube channel. As a singer dancer and actor, Holmes has had plenty of experience as a performer and said he is happiest on stage.

“I feel like it’s a certain spirit that comes over me, and that comes over any performer when they know that they’re doing a great job, that nothing else matters in the moment,” Holmes said. “The most rewarding part about being a performer is that I know that I’m doing what I love to do.”

His publicist, Daquan Thomas, a junior public relations major, said Holmes’ performance at “Syracuse Idol” made him want to get involved in his music career.

“The way he commanded the stage, the confidence he exuberated, the talent he displayed — I mean, he sang really well, he danced and he just had a natural flair for performance that I recognized as marketable,” Thomas said.

Thomas also said Austin’s hard work and his efforts to diversify both the vocal and dancing elements of his performances makes him an artist worth watching out for.

After “Hairspray” comes to a close, Holmes hopes to record an EP and release it next semester. He has written two songs so far, and although he plans on spending time recording next semester, he will continue performing and posting cover videos on his YouTube channel.

“You can see the passion, you can see that he’s the happiest person ever when he’s on stage, you can see the connection he makes with the audience when he’s there,” Thomas said. “It’s really phenomenal.”