Syracuse’s Kelly excels in nuance role in defense’ Okie package

Spencer Bodian | Staff Photographer

Darius Kelly defend a pass against Maryland. The safety plays the "star" position for Syracuse when it switches to its generally successful Okie package on third down.

Darius Kelly is a defensive back.

It’s where he played throughout his first two years at Pima (Arizona) Community College. It’s what he’s listed as on Syracuse’s roster. And it’s where he lines up in practice and games when the Orange is in its base 4-3 set.

But when SU forces opponents into a third-and-long passing situation, Kelly has to be a little more than that.

“I’m basically that extra linebacker and safety,” Kelly said. “I wouldn’t say it’s difficult, I would just say it’s a different look.”

Kelly plays the “star” position in the Okie package, which features three linebackers behind the defensive line, two cornerbacks on the edges and three safeties in the secondary. Syracuse’s defense implements the Okie in late-down passing situations and Kelly is the 11th man whose spot isn’t defined. Kelly can line up on either side of the line of scrimmage — sometimes he blitzes and sometimes he’s in coverage.

It’s his versatility at the star and vocality that helped Syracuse (3-6, 1-4 Atlantic Coast) limit North Carolina State to just 4-of-16 conversions on third down in a loss last week. When No. 22 Duke (7-1, 3-1), which averages nearly 36 points per game, visits the Carrier Dome on Saturday, it’ll be crucial for the Orange defense to put up similar numbers on third down.

“We just take pride in that Okie package,” Kelly said. “We come on the field, money down, money down, we’re trying to come off the field. Get off the field right away. Make the play get off the field on third down.”

SU defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough approached Kelly about taking over the star position last year, and it took Kelly a summer of studying the playbook to get a better grasp of the role.

Kelly said Bullough saw his versatility, ability to make tackles, cover a slot receiver and beat the blockers on a blitz, which allowed him to take over the specialty position.

“He’s done a great, great job,” Bullough said. “He has to learn safety, has to learn (the star), he’s done well, really, really well.”

Kelly gets a chance to utilize his abilities in the Okie on third down and pass-only situations. It’s supposed to confuse the quarterback who won’t know where the pressure is coming from, with the star usually lining up in the slot and either breaking into coverage or shooting a gap at the line.

The offense will have trouble knowing where its protection should slide. After facing a four-down front for most of the game, Kelly said opponents have trouble protecting a three on the line and the linebackers that SU regularly brings when it blitzes from the Okie.

“If it’s third and long, you know what they’re gonna do, it’s a passing down,” SU cornerback Julian Whigham said. “You know they only have a certain amount of time to get the ball out when we bring a certain pressure. I think we do a great job of that.”

Whigham is a part of the package, along with safeties Ritchy Desir, Durell Eskridge and cornerback Brandon Reddish in the secondary. When the team is in its 4-3 set, Kelly and Desir rotate before Kelly takes on his role in the Okie.

Kelly isn’t just the wildcard in the secondary. He’s also one of its leaders. Whigham said he’s fiery and a “loud guy” on a unit full of players that don’t speak up as much.

Whigham referenced a play on the goal line during SU’s loss to the Wolfpack, where Kelly jumped into a pile and an opposing lineman “messed with his leg.” Kelly immediately got up and pleaded with the referee to throw a flag.

“You didn’t see that call,” Whigham recalled Kelly yelling to the ref. “You didn’t see that, man. Come on, man. What’s going on with you?”

After not getting the call, Kelly turned to his unit and fired them up for the next play. It’s that personality, Whigham says, that brings the group up when it’s needed. It’s just another way, aside from his role in the Okie, that goes beyond his listed position as a defensive back.

“He’s a vocal leader, a very strong leader,” Whigham said. “He knows where he needs to be, is a smart guy. And does what he’s supposed to do just about every play.

“I think every group needs a Darius Kelly.”

Sports Editor Jesse Dougherty, [email protected], contributed reporting to this article.