Syracuse struggles against Iowa’s trapping press in win

Syracuse had practiced plenty against the press, and it wasnt surprised when Iowa rolled out a three-quarters-court press.

But the Orange didnt handle it well, committing 10 second-half turnovers which keyed a 17-4, 6:43 Iowa run that cut the No. 23 Syracuse (2-1) lead to one late in the game. The Orange held on for a 66-63 win despite the late run, but the Hawkeyes showed how this SU team handles extended pressure.

Iowas press was a straightforward 1-2-2 trap, led by Aaron White at the foul line, when the Hawkeyes big man was on the floor. A pair of guard defended at half court, just inside the sidelines waiting to pin SU ball handlers.

With 9:40 remaining in the second half and SU holding a 54-43 lead, Trevor Cooney picked the ball up after one dribble with White closing in, then tried to hook a pass down the sideline to Tyler Roberson, who was also caught between a defender and the sideline.

The pass landed out of bounds and bounced into the stands.

I did exactly what they wanted me to do,Cooney said. They forced me into a corner and I threw it where Im not supposed to throw it. So I knew that and I just cant make plays like that.

The Hawkeyes would have never stop pressing if Mike Gesell hadnt missed a free throw with 5.8 seconds remaining. Iowa was set to get into its press as the ball rolled off the rim. By then the Hawkeyes had cut what was once a 15-point lead down to one.

Syracuse had been playing some of its best offense of the season, Jim Boeheim said, but nearly gave the game away against the simplest of frontcourt pressure

Said Boeheim: With the lead they came with the three-quarter-court type of trap and we threw it away four times.