Syracuse kicker Murphy named semifinalist for Lou Groza Award

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Syracuse kicker Cole Murphy has been named a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award, given annually to the country's top placekicker.

Syracuse kicker Cole Murphy has been named one of 20 semifinalists for the Lou Groza Award, which is given annually to the country’s top placekicker.

Murphy, a walk-on freshman, has converted 12 of his 14 field-goal attempts on the year, two of which came from 50 yards out. His field-goal percentage of 84.6 is 19th best in the country and fourth among freshmen. He hasn’t missed a kick from inside 35 yards this season for the Orange (3-6, 1-4 Atlantic Coast).

Six of the 20 semifinalists are from ACC schools. Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches, sports information directors, past Groza finalists and national and regional football writers will narrow the group down to three finalists, which will be announced Nov. 24 at the 23rd annual Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Awards Banquet in West Palm Beach, Florida.

The winner will be announced Dec. 11 live on ESPN during the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.

Riley Dixon, SU’s senior punter and Murphy’s holder, cracked the preseason watch list for the Ray Guy Award, the country’s punting equivalent of the Lou Groza Award.

Murphy’s provided stability to Syracuse’s kicking game, which hasn’t had much success in recent years. In five of the last seven seasons going into this year, the Orange didn’t have a kicker with a field-goal percentage higher than 80 percent.

Ross Krautman hit 18-of-19 (94.7 percent) as a freshman in 2010, but fell off the past few seasons and had to walk away from football due to injury before this season started. Junior Ryan Norton was inconsistent — making just 4-of-7 — with his opportunities through SU’s first three games, leading the way for Murphy’s emergence.