Shafer shows frustration, smacks podium hard after loss to Duke

Phil D'Abbraccio | Asst. Sports Editor

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer was asked about the Orange falling short of his eight-win goal heading into the season, and he took his disappointment out on the podium in front of him.

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer had a goal of eight wins before the season started. Now, the most the Orange can finish the year with is five.

SU’s (3-7, 1-5 Atlantic Coast) 27-10 loss to No. 22 Duke (8-1, 4-1) put an end to the Orange’s hopes of qualifying for postseason eligibility. It was the Orange’s seventh loss in its last eight games and it happened on Senior Day in the Carrier Dome.

Shafer said “yes” when asked during his postgame press conference if this year was a disappointment. When the reporter asked why, Shafer gave him a longer response.

“Well, because we didn’t reach our goal,” Shafer said. “Those questions are hilarious to me. I don’t know where you come up with those.

“We wanted to win eight,” Shafer continued, as he raised his fist and pounded the podium with enough force to chip the wood, “and we didn’t win eight so we’re disappointed. OK, so interesting question right there.

“We’d like to win eight. We’d like to win 12, 13 and when you come up short you’re disappointed unless you make excuses.

“So, that’s why.”