Shafer: Lester to be offensive coordinator moving forward

Tim Lester is Syracuse’s offensive coordinator of the present and future, SU head coach Scott Shafer said in his Tuesday teleconference.

Lester, who doubles as the team’s quarterbacks coach, was promoted to offensive coordinator on Saturday, Oct. 4 when wide receivers coach George McDonald was demoted from the play-calling post. Lester inherited an offense that was and remains without starting quarterback Terrel Hunt and has been struck by injuries across the offensive line and to standout receivers Ashton Broyld and Brisly Estime.

“He’s adjusted to the players that we have,” Shafer said. “It’ll be an interesting week going into the Duke game because we have different looks going into this game that will present a whole different group of game-planning situations.”

On Tuesday, Shafer assessed the job Lester’s done so far and confirmed that he plans to keep him in the role beyond the end of this season.

“For me it’s midstream, so he’s fighting to work with the initial part of the offense,” Shafer said. “So when we get to the offseason his opportunity to rebuild things the way we see fit will be key. But he’s extremely bright and he played that position which I think helps the young quarterback, with AJ, as well as Austin and Mitch.”

Said Shafer, when asked to confirm Lester’s role: “Yes, Tim’s our offensive coordinator moving forward.”