Campus Issues

Rodgers: DAT Rally informed campus, successfully presented demands

This fall semester at Syracuse University has been nothing short of busy when it comes to student activism. From protesting the changes made to the Advocacy Center to the impromptu yet focused meeting in the Goldstein Student Center following the Hanna Strong video, student activism evolved into a series of protests, meetings and now, the Diversity and Transparency Rally.

With the many efforts of students to unite in the wake of unwarranted changes on campus, the DAT Rally was the strong culmination of this large-scale student effort and introduced the new coalition THE General Body to the campus at large. It combined many student issues into one major event and it helped to articulate what specifically students are fighting for on campus, which is an essential component to making a lasting impression on administration.

On Monday, over 100 students and faculty gathered outside of Hendricks Chapel for this rally, which aimed to draw attention to some of the closed-door decisions made by the university, such as the closing of the Advocacy Center, defunding of the Posse Program and the decision of the university to not divest from fossil fuels. The rally also aimed to draw attention to issues of discrimination and privilege on campus and make clear that those issues are not the individual problems of students, but rather exist as structural changes that the university can move to change.

THE General Body, a combination of students from various organizations and colleges on campus, worked to organize the rally. The group held a series of meetings throughout the semester to organize ideas, create a list of demands and present a more united front to the campus community. Ultimately, the DAT Rally was the reveal of student efforts during a time of uncertainty throughout the campus community.

Among the many works that THE General Body has created thus far — including a website and social media accounts — one that stands out as the most effective is the list of grievances and demands created. The 43-page document illustrates and sets deadlines for administration the changes that should be set in place. Although extensive, the document is profound in clearly articulating exactly what issues students see, how they should be solved and when they need to be solved by. With this list, the case can no longer be made that students have no direction in what they are fighting for. The list of demands, in addition to the sit-in held in Crouse-Hinds  Hall, make a bold statement that students are not backing down and are finally following through on the changes they want to see at this university.

The various movements on campus including #ITooAmSU, #SpeakUpSU and #DivestSU are essential — and even long overdue — in addressing some of the most pertinent issues on campus. However, creating a united and clear movement of social change on a college campus that is a breeding ground for ideas, leadership and intellect can be difficult.  Ideas can become overcrowded and misdirected due to the amount of things that students are passionate about and want to see change. But the DAT Rally brought a sense of cohesion and clarity to the many concerns that students have.

The DAT Rally simultaneously accomplished informing the campus at large about issues on diversity and inclusion, while also shed light on the work that THE General Body is doing. Ultimately, it set the stage for what could be the future of Syracuse University. If THE General Body is to serve as the representation of the united front of SU students, the DAT Rally was an event that made these motives clear and could leave a lasting impression on this campus.

Nina Rodgers is a junior sociology major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].