Letter to the Editor

Reader responds to Salaita’s lecture

Steven Salaita’s speech on Wednesday was challenging.  He explored issues surrounding limited academic freedom, deficiencies in universities’ administrative structures and the inequities of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.  Despite the intrigue of the topics, Salatia failed to accurately assess most of them. He focused on the “corporatization of academe” and academia’s employment of the term “civility” to silence a dissenting minority.  Universities have substantial administrative issues, but Salatia’s description verged on dystopian.  He approached issues with a cynicism and zealotry that seemed, to say the least, nonacademic.

In response to a question about a student’s sense of safety in his classes, Salatia explained that people should only feel implicated by his tweets if they support the policy in question.  Salatia’s tweets implicate a far broader group of people then those solely supporting certain negative policies.  “If you’re defending Israel right now then ‘hopelessly brainwashed’ is your best prognosis.”  This tweet fails to distinguish between those defending Israel’s right to persecute Palestinians, right to defend itself, or right to exist.  Sweeping statements about policies ignore individuals’ backgrounds and their motivations for supporting them.

Ironically, Salatia supports the academic boycott of Israel.  One of his stated purposes for speaking at universities is spreading the word about issues of academic freedom.  Academic boycotts limit academic freedom. He justified the boycott with examples of the suppression of academic freedom for Palestinians, placing blame on Israeli educational institutions.  In reality, limited Palestinian educational opportunities can be attributed to suppressive policies of the Israeli government, while Israeli academic institutions are some of the few places in Israel debating these policies.

Salatia had the most difficulty explaining his motivations for tweeting.  The crux of his argument was a distinction he drew between the pedagogy of teaching and the personal nature of tweets.  A professor’s role as an academic demands a level of civility, respect, and tact in all walks of life.  Someone in attendance commented that part of a professor’s job includes making students “uncomfortable” by challenging them with new ideas.  Daily, professors challenge me with stimulating new ideas, but I have never been made to feel uncomfortable.  Professors should not make students uncomfortable.  Salatia’s behavior online does, and for good reason.  Ultimately, the University of Illinois rescinded Salatia’s offer for the same legitimate reason my 17 year- old friend, Alex won’t be getting an internship at Goldman Sachs: irresponsible use of the internet.

Jeff Spivack
Israel vice president of the Hillel Jewish Student Union Board
Board member of LIME: An Israeli Palestinian Dialogue Group