Liberal

Potter: Climate change agreement sets example for international cooperation and compromise

Last Wednesday, the United States agreed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 26 –28 percent less than the 2005 emissions levels by 2025 as part of an international agreement with China, according to a Nov. 12 CNN article.  Despite criticisms from Republican Party leadership, this agreement has a great impact on carbon emission reduction in the United States and also sets an example for international cooperation and compromise.

This agreement has been criticized by environmentalists for not being impactful enough and criticized by Republicans for being unrealistic.

According to a Nov. 12 Washington Post article the Republican leadership had a very strong and negative reaction to the agreement. Senate Minority Leader, and future majority leader, Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) criticized the deal in part due to the fact that is doesn’t require major reductions on behalf of China for 16 more years and will hurt the coal industry and reduce jobs in the United States.

Ironically, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration, 89,838 people are employed in the coal industry. The coal industry generates a substantial portion of emissions and energy, but could be reduced without having significant impact on national employment rates. The states that are specifically affected by cuts in the coal industry could potentially replace these jobs with more sustainable and long-term solutions. There is little reasoning, other than his home-state bias, behind his endorsement of declining industries, such as coal, rather than growing ones, like solar, wind and nuclear.

It is important to move forward in reducing carbon emissions rather than stand still and remain invested in unsustainable industries, like Republican leadership is suggesting.

In addition, in order for the United States and China to reach a compromise regarding emissions, it is crucial to consider the fact that China has been developing its industries far fewer years than the United States. It is blatantly unfair to hold a recently developing country to the same standards as a post-industrial country. McConnell’s, and many environmentalists’, criticisms fail to appropriately take this into consideration.

Secretary of State John Kerry and President Barack Obama are attempting to walk a fine line between the extremist expectations of both sides. Regardless of the criticisms, it is important to acknowledge that moving toward any reductions is more important than doing nothing at all.

The United States was already committed to a substantial reduction in carbon emissions by 2025, which is reflected in higher fuel efficiency standards for vehicles and increasing investment in renewable energy. The importance of this agreement with China extends far beyond carbon dioxide reduction in the United States.

Climate change and CO2 emissions reductions are a global problem that requires international cooperation. The United States and China are currently the biggest emitters of CO2 and this agreement hopefully sets a standard for broader international agreements. This problem cannot be addressed by only one or two nations but rather requires international standards, compromise and commitment.

More nations will potentially follow suit as U.S. and China are the biggest carbon producers.

This deal has implications particularly in the case of the Republicans regaining control of the White House in 2016 because the United States is committed to reducing emissions in an international agreement rather than solely in domestic policy. It would reflect very poorly on the United States and negatively affect our relationship with China if this agreement is not followed through with. This is very strategic on the part of Obama, as his legacy and values will likely continue regardless of the potential changes in power in 2016.

Republicans like McConnell are living in the past and sacrificing small steps in the right direction because of their home state ties to the coal industry. This compromise between China and the United States sets precedent for broader international compromise and agreement and shows the United States’ commitment to emissions reduction.

Rachel Potter is a senior political science and sociology major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].