Fashion

Malliaros: Birkin bag stays relevant after 30 years despite expensive price

In the world of accessories, there’s nothing remotely similar to the Hermès Birkin bag. Handmade by old-school craftsmen in a historic Paris atelier, the bags are the best money can buy with a rich history and lasting value.

Hermès has been in the news recently for producing a small number of smelly Birkins. The Boston Globe referred to the news of the bad batch as “scent-sational,” and that’s exactly what it is. Although it’s only a small number that were produced and sent out to stores, they cost upwards of $20,000. That’s no price to pay for a bag with a stench similar to skunk, or in worse cases, marijuana.

Hermès has yet to comment on the issue, and the company is known for letting rumors like this linger and contribute to the mysterious aura surrounding the legends of the bag.

The Birkin turns 30 years old this year, but its star power doesn’t appear to be fading in the least. If anything, the steady stream of celebrities carrying Birkins and their appearances on TV shows like “Sex and the City” have created a new generation of Birkin-worshippers, myself being one.

The desire for Birkins is strongly influenced by the fact that people want what they can’t have. It’s impossible to flip through Vogue or scroll through Style.com without seeing Victoria Beckham or Kim Kardashian carrying one, maybe even two, Birkins. On a different day, they’re accessorizing with a different color or different size bag than the previous along with 10 other celebrities.

I worked for a woman who had two different Birkins and treated them like her children. The care and attention she gave her bags was fascinating. They’re so hard to come by, and to own two is a rarity. I would gaze at them for minutes at a time.

There’s no close second in the handbag category — the Birkin dominates as an icon and status symbol. According to Reuters, the bags start at the not-so-low price of $9,000, and according to TheRichest, one can cost upward of $200,000. Hermès built buzz around the bags by keeping production numbers low and selling only to VIPs or celebrities. Many people who purchase the handbags are doing so to keep them as collectables for their decadent homes.

The price is undeniably a shock factor. Some people spend more on Birkins than others make in a year. This fact is really confusing because after all, it’s a handbag. After a lot of research and paying close attention to the fashion industry for years, I understand why Birkins are so special and sought after. I don’t think being in pursuit of a rare, expensive bag is elitist or materialistic. If you’re into fashion and luxury, you become fixated on the idea of the Birkin, and that’s that.

The fashion industry is very set on luxury and focusing attention on the highest quality items from season to season. It makes sense for there to be an outlier price-wise, such as the Birkin, which may be the same amount of money as someone’s luxury car or annual income.

If a Birkin is something you swoon over, work toward it, and maybe someday you’ll be one of the lucky few. You’re investing in the history and tradition of Hermès, a powerful brand. It isn’t simply a handbag.

Hermès won’t sell just anyone a Birkin. The brand doesn’t use decade-long waiting lists like many think, but they encourage interested customers to establish a relationship with a sales person. Then, said sales person will help them try to get the ever-so-coveted bag. This process is essentially code for “spend money in the store, and you’ll get a Birkin.”

What’s most special about the bags isn’t the stigma that comes along with them or the celebrities that carry them, but the lasting value they hold. They become more precious as time goes on.

The price tag isn’t the only famous thing about the Birkin bag. The world’s most coveted handbag carries a lot: style, class and a whole lot of history.

Zoe Malliaros is a sophomore advertising major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].