Technology

Knighton: Microsoft’s recent product innovations reflect proactive leadership

Microsoft’s new CEO is making it clear that there is a new sheriff in town.

Satya Nadella has completely overhauled Microsoft’s old strategy of devices and services and implemented a more modern mobile and cloud computing vision.

Microsoft’s recent announcement that it will no longer require subscriptions to use its Office apps on iPhones, and soon Android operating systems, indicates that the company is finally thinking toward the future instead of relying on its history.

Nadella realized that Microsoft’s unwillingness to make its services compatible with competing companies’ products was hurting more than helping. The new approach of experimentation and collaboration could help Microsoft recapture some of its glory from the ‘90s.

The name Microsoft doesn’t have the same draw as it did a decade ago. Once known for being the leader in PC sales, Microsoft has struggled to adjust to the increase in mobile technology and decline in desktops. Now, the focus seems to be on experimenting with multiple areas of tech and making Microsoft a household brand once again.

Office subscriptions have always been one Microsoft’s largest sources of revenue and giving it away for free on mobile devices proves that they are beginning to see the bigger picture. Most people use Microsoft word and PowerPoint, but it’s not always while using a Microsoft product. If Microsoft Office wanted to remain users’ primary productivity suite, it had to sacrifice a few dollars or risk people finding cheaper alternatives. The app store is full of them.

Since Nadella’s hiring in February, Microsoft has purchased the company Nokia for mobile hardware production, introduced a cloud storage collaboration with Dropbox and released Microsoft’s first wearable product, the Microsoft Band.

Unlike his predecessor, the new CEO isn’t afraid of shaking things to improve the company’s future. It remains to be seen how this shift in philosophy will affect its revenue, but the new game plan puts the Microsoft in a much better position to succeed in the modern tech era.

Microsoft luckily doesn’t have the “uncool” sentiment amongst consumers that most fallen tech empires succumb to. Newer generations know Microsoft mainly as the Xbox makers and heavy gamers will be loyal across other platforms if they continue down this innovative path. Microsoft’s Surface tablet has also impressed many with its design and functionality. If the Microsoft Band can somehow establish the common use of fitness trackers, Microsoft has a good chance of rising again.

Some consumers simply rely on the name, but others do their homework and appreciate effort to improve. I’d much rather buy products and services from a company attempting to be innovative over other tech companies who seem to have become complacent.

Most people believe in the adage of “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” but Nadella believes in being proactive. It takes guts to change the vision of company started by Bill Gates and, regardless if its latest moves lead to revenue boosts, Microsoft’s should be applauded for not staying stagnant.

Aarick Knighton is a junior information management and technology major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @aarickurban.